The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Sunroof & Headliner question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thereef

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 5, 2010
Wichita, Kansas
So while I wait on motor parts to come in I decided I'd dive into the sunroof leaking issue I've been having..

I figured oh, I'll just clean out the drain lines & all will be kosher.. So I search for the drain holes for a half an hour, assuming they were under the gobs of RTV and chewing gum the previous owner tried using to fix the leaks, until I got frustrated and started taking off the DOZENS of thumb tacks holding up the cloth on my headliner figuring I'll just locate the drain lines and follow them to the drain holes.

Then I started taking off the headliner board t's self..

The headliner is broken in 3 pieces (one of the snaps is my fault :D) and there are ZERO drain lines. Does this mean without a doubt that this sunroof is aftermarket?

It's a 91 Talon TSi.. The cars been beat to all hell and I'm slowly trying to restore her to her former glory, but I'm running into half-assed "fix" after hidden disaster area.

So in short, two questions: Is my sunroof aftermarket, and if so how in god's name am I going to find a headliner board to replace the one that's in pieces?

Thanks guys. Hoping for good news, expecting the worst. :mad:

Edit: Also I think I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry guys. :<

my 91 has 4 drain plugs 1 in each corner. You can try to make a template and trace out the old headliner i just left mine out i dont think it looks to bad a just cleaned everything really good.

my 91 has 4 drain plugs 1 in each corner. You can try to make a template and trace out the old headliner i just left mine out i dont think it looks to bad a just cleaned everything really good.

So you left yours just bare metal?

No your sunroof is stock it just means the previous owner didnt know what the rubber hoses were for (for rain drain that is) and just ripped them out. And a couple of different ways.. ebay, the classifieds here, junk yard, or craigslist would be good options.

No your sunroof is stock it just means the previous owner didnt know what the rubber hoses were for (for rain drain that is) and just ripped them out. And a couple of different ways.. ebay, the classifieds here, junk yard, or craigslist would be good options.

I dunno man I wish that was true but I just can't find any drain holes, the only holes I can find are from the last owner going haywire on the bracketing. Took some quick shots, if anyone wants pictures of specific angles/parts let me know.

Here's a few shots of it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Gasoline and match?

I hate aftermarket sunroofs since they are so cheap. Measure the existing one and try to find a new one the same size or slightly larger. Finding a good headliner board is going to be more difficult since they are tough to ship because of the size. Hopefully you can find one local and then recover and cut it to fit the new sunroof.

Or have the hole welded up.

Wait OP look in the glovebox for a sticker.I hope your not trying to cover up a rare factory power sunroof.But on the other hand maybe it is aftermarket.

steve said:
Gasoline and match?

ROFL...
I hate aftermarket sunroofs. There only good for two things. Leaking and breaking.

I would seal up the one you have the best you can and if a factory one will fit in there go with that when you can. If not then a bigger one would be the next best option. You could always get rid of it and weld I up. That would be the cheapest and a sure way to do the leak.

To be honest I never met a sunroof that didn't leak eventually. It's like death and taxes, it's certain to happen.

You guys are making me super emo.

I'm going to see if I can't track down a factory sunroof - if not then I guess it's gonna have to be welded shut. I'll also be rocking the headlinerless interior for a while.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ####ing can of worms I opened.

When the factory does a sunroof there is a whole structure added to the roof to help replace the strength and stiffness lost by cutting a hole in it. On the cars I remember looking at, the structure spans the whole roof line so that it's welded into the front to back roof rails on both sides. This makes adding the factory sunroof a bit of work and could make it more cost effective to get a new shell if you can't weld and fabricate yourself.

Yes Steve there is a whole structure up there for the factory sunroofs.It actually lowers the roof line inside the car, so sunroofs are not for tall people.It's just sheet metal, but yes there is a whole supporting structure up there and not just a hole cut and sunroof put in.

I don't have any pics of the structure, to show you.It's kind of a PITA to get everything back in sometimes.Or I would go tear mine out and upload a few photo's.There are also water vents, with tubes that run to the car floor, and let the water out.The same as the hatch water vents basically.

Bud, if you paid attention to the link I posted earlier you'd know that my car has a factory sunroof. I can't wear a helmet in the car without opening it or driving ghetto.

I've since redone the headliner and have seen the inside of the roof structure but don't have pictures either or would have posted them.

To the best of my knowledge there are no factory power sunroofs on a 1G. IIRC, the 90 factory sunroof was slightly different but from 91 to 94 they were all like the one shown in my link.

:banghead:

So which 1gs had the factory sunroofs? They were sent by Mits to some place in CA.They installed it and there should be a sticker in the glove box from the company.There are not many, which is why it's not very common knowlage.

Don't drive with your head out thw window, it makes it hard to breathe if your going 30+.

They aren't factory then, they were just contracted by a dealer to install aftermarket sunroofs. I had a 1G with a factory roof. I wish it would have come with that air deflector.

I think I'm going to try to get my headliner board repaired by someone in town with fiberglass.. Then buying a whole new weather stripping set from SFC/Webasto Sunroof Parts -- and seeing how I fare.

I mean the sunroof didn't look bad, the only problem I've had was it leaked.. A moderately long temporary fix is okay with me, as long as it stops the leaks and I know how to fix them in the future (new weather strip from above link)

Anyone see any problems with this plan?

I fixed a hole in my headliner board with cardboard.Cut it out taped it up, and made sure it was flat, then new cushion and fabric.Total cost Probably less than 30 bux.

Are you sure? I know they used a company in California to build convertibles.
Remember even if a dealer installed the sunroof, it's aftermarket.

I have no sticker and it's clear that mine was formed as part of the car on the line in Normal.
If I had one of the very rare factory body manuals for a 1G it would show the different parts sheetmetal went into the sunroof cars when they made them.

I fixed a hole in my headliner board with cardboard.Cut it out taped it up, and made sure it was flat, then new cushion and fabric.Total cost Probably less than 30 bux.

What kind of tape? All the tapes I try using don't seem to stick very well. :D

I have the factory sunroof in my 91 tsi. It looks like it was all done at the factory when the car was built. I also have that stupid wind deflector thingy and the sun shade. I don't think they are that rare

I also have that stupid wind deflector thingy and the sun shade. I don't think they are that rare

They weren't when new. Every factory sunroof car had them and the bag for the sunroof but over time, just like original keys or the luggage strap for the hatch they got lost.

I have a factory sunroof in my 93. It looks the same as in the link posted above, except tan in color. I also have the air deflector (used it yesterday :D), block off / trim piece, and leather bag.

There was a 1g in the classifieds section recently (or on the Link forums I forget exactly which one) that had a power sunroof. It was a 94 and the roof was a test or whatever you call it of the ones used in 95.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back