The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

sun visor recover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blckeclipse95

Probationary Member
May 10, 2003
Athens, Georgia
Has anyone redone their sun visors. If so how. I would really appreciate it. thanks

I had mine recovered. I didn't do it personally. I had an upholstery shop do them. I also had the headliner done at the same time in the same color so they would match. If memory serves me correctly the visors were about $50 for the pair and the headliner was about $30. All three for less than $100. I think my numbers might be on the high side, but that gives you a good idea. If you're wanting to do it yourself the headliner looks easy enough but the visors (mine at least) looked like they would need more skill. But if your up to the challenge and some trial and error go for it, and you can say you did it yourself. :thumb: Good luck. Later.

I did mine. They deteriorated from sun damage. I bought a piece of nice leather-look vinyl at the local fabric store. This was a little more difficult because of the thickness. They came out looking pretty good though. Do get something with some stretch to it though.

The visor is a plastic clamshell with the fabric edges pinched inside. It's glued together so you have to pretty much crack it apart with a screwdriver. Just try not to break it too much. You will probably break some of the studs. Use the old cover as a template, cut it out, stretch it over (it's held by little pointed teeth all around the edge), and glue it together.

Originally posted by wret
The visor is a plastic clamshell with the fabric edges pinched inside. It's glued together so you have to pretty much crack it apart with a screwdriver. Use the old cover as a template, cut it out, stretch it over (it's held by little pointed teeth all around the edge), and glue it together.
I always wondered how those dopey things were built.

Here, try this, less jaggies:

Attachments

• side2.jpg
    side2.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 23,632
Here are the pictures of an open 2G sun visor from our 1996 GSX.
We wanted to recover them and found they are a clamshell that is
glued along the inside edges. The outside edges have teeth that simply hold the
fabric and do little else.

On the first one, that had the mirror and lights we got all the way around until we
learned about a pin that looks a lot like a nail that is pressed in on the side that is
not hinged / screwed into the car.

Using a small screwdriver and the hole provided on this side I was able to
nudge the pin out far enough to grip with a needle nose to pull out.
This pin must be pulled out to open the clamshell visor without breaking it.

On the drivers side I will do the pin first, then separate the halves using a
metal putty knife, switching to a gasket scraper (stronger than putty knife),
and using a hacksaw blade to get the glue to separate properly so I do not
tear the plastic.

New fabric will likely be glued on with spray adhesive , folded over edges,
clamshells will be re-glued along original seams where they were glued before.

I like this design, with a little patience these can be covered to look like new.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_1083.jpg
    IMG_1083.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 504
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back