The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Sun Visor Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
Hey guys well my car came with lights on the visor, so when i bought it only the passenger's side would light up but now neither both works. I checked both fuse like lights on both visors but only to find out that both are good. I checked the voltage and i only get .024 volts WTF . Does anyone know where the sun visor lights gets the power from?

I tried it with my keys on ACC, keys on ON, Car turned on and with headlights on. The visor should turn its lights on when the cover is open. My door lights work, and so does lights that are in the roof area. The only thing that is wierd with my car is the little knob left of the steering wheel which dims the lighting of the dash and other places. When I turn the knob towards the left the lights on the dash get brighter, if I move it more I hear a clicking sound but nothing happens.

I'm looking through the schematics of the Haynes Repair Manual, and i came across a "Glove Compartment Light and Vanity Mirror Light". Would you think that the "Vanity Mirror light is the same light im talking about? Anyone can help me out where that wiring goes to what fuse?

I'd definitly agree that you're wanting the "vanity mirror light." As to which fuse controls that... i'd have to get up, go to the garage, and start checking fuses. That's not gonna happen anytime soon, so... you're pretty much on your own.

I'm trying to help, but you gotta help yourself too. You asked us which fuse it was that controlled the power to the vanity mirror lights, the only way to do that is actually go look. There's only SO many fuses. Check them all if need be (don't forget the ones under the hood either).

I'm willing to bet your results are going to come back as incunclusive seeing as how you haven't mentioned that anything else besides the visor lights aren't working and I'm highly doubting that there's one specific fuse for just the visor lights.

I don't want to speculate as to what the problem is, but i'm guessing that there's adequate power and that more likely there's a faulty switch in the visor.

That is what I thought at first. When I took off the little lights off the visor, I checked the voltage. Then I thought what if the switch of the visor is messed up. So what i did was check the wire that goes to the visor. I took of the visor to find out that there is only one wire going to the visor which must be the power. I hooked up the meter with the positive to the wire and negative to the ground. I got the same results. I checked the fuses under the dash, which is next to your left leg. I found none to do with those lights. Plus all were good. The fuses and relays in the engine bay are for mechanical things.

The fuses and relays in the engine bay are for mechanical things.

You might want to double check the fuses under the hood anyways, i'm sure that they're going to check out to be good too, but.. I once had a problem with ALL of my interior lights (instrument panel, HVAC, everything) and it turns out that what was actually blown was a fuse under the hood that controls your parking lights, tail lights, and everything else that lights up when your flip your parking lights on.

...I took of the visor to find out that there is only one wire going to the visor which must be the power....

I haven't torn into the visor lights, but if this is correct, I'm betting that the ground point for the lights has become corroded or isn't making good contact for other reasons (it's probably connected to chassis ground via the visor mount).

I had a similar problem with the interior lights not working when the doors were opened. The switch gets grounded to the car body through a screw and switch contact with a single power wire; the connection between the screw/switch and car body was corroded and not grounding properly. A little Dremel work to clean things up, and good as new.

Sounds like a similar issue.

Nope, It isn't corroded. The problem with your switch for the door lights was that over time the inside of the switch gets corroded so it makes it stop working.

Try to make sure the fuse type lights are not blown. Could be something as simple as that if you claim to have checked all the logical things behind why it shouldnt work. We tend to overlook the simplest things.

Check the fuses under the hood! I dont know how you can see the ones under the hood are for mechanical things only? Theres a few that are labled for things related to the interior, case and point:

Radio/Room Lamp

And don't be so harash on us if you dont like the answers, suggestions we're giving, we're just trying to help. :)

I know and I thank everyone for their help. But if all my interior lights are working why wouldn't those work? As from the first post, I said I check all fuse type lights on the visor but all were fine. Now if someone can help me out how to read the schematics of the Haynes Repair Manual. Thanks

Have you tried running a wire manually from a power source directly to the light and then testing the switch? This might help you find the problem. Make sure the visor is still connected to the roof when you test it, i'm betting that since there's only one wire that it must be grounded to the frame when it's attached. Maybe not though.

When something electrical isn't working I like to try and take all of the variables out of the problem and then slowly, one by one, start adding components back into the problem to try and find out exactly what makes it work and what makes it not work.

If you check everything and still cant find the problem, use your volt meter and check at various points, slowly going back to the origin of the line to see where u loose the power. It may be due to the wire being crimped. I know our 2g's are notorious for having crappy wiring. Goodluck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back