The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Sudden slipping and gear pop outs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynxe

Proven Member
Feb 19, 2015
Ottumwa, Iowa
I started driving my car this morning and everything was fine, drive smooth and pulled good. Then about 2 hours ago the clutch started to slip really bad, it started when i made a left turn. Now its doing it all through 1st and now 2nd and reverse pop out. What is happening?

Is this awd? Did anything happen prior to this event? Have you driven the car hard? Is the condition of this trans known? If its awd could be center diff especially given you said it catches sometimes.
I did a couple hard pulls on it, but at first it was a consecutive jerk that felt like a bad misfire under boost, but ive just been driving it normal making sure everything is in good working condition. It randomly started slipping on left turns, then slowly got to where it just slips under any gas. Yes its awd, and i got the trans from a friend, it came out of a panda that sat for years because wiring harness issues and no title. UPDATE, i went in 1st gear and slowly got up to 6k rpms and pressed in the clutch, then dropped it when it go to about 1k rpms, It grabbed really really hard and i almost broke my neck,

Its looks like drive line to me. There is no tutorial on trans as far as I know. its not for the timid or unprepared. Isnt cheap either.

Inspect everything you can on thing at a time.
I literally swapped a new clutch into it this morning. I checked axles, and theyre also new, like less than a month old. Im beginning to think its the center diff, because of my clutch drop expirament.

Its looks like drive line to me. There is no tutorial on trans as far as I know. its not for the timid or unprepared. Isnt cheap either.
So just now i was light boosting in 3rd light throttle because i had to get up a hill, and i felt slipping then suddenly my car jerked and started pulling really hard like its supposed to.

Clutch drop experiment???
Explain. If you did what I think you did you likely have a broken center diff and yiu need to park the car

Clutch drop experiment???
Explain. If you did what I think you did you likely have a broken center diff and yiu need to park the car
I drove in 1st, went to about 6k rpm and pressed in the clutch and dropped it when it reached 1k and it jerked really hard.

Start from the beginning. Has this car driven correctly at all since you installed a new trans?
Yes, when i first installed it, it pulled fine but i never really beat on it. Everytime i did a pull it would feel like it was randomly having a bad misfire. Then it started slipping on left turns, i got on the highway and started to do a pull in 2nd, held good till about 4k rpms then it slipped to 6k. Its been slipping ever since. Today i did a light pull in third, it was slipping then suddenly my car jerked hard like it grabbed and pulled really hard.

Start from the beginning. Has this car driven correctly at all since you installed a new trans?
But im saying that when i dropped the clutch it grabbed so hard it almost shut my car off, so i know it rules out the clutch slipping. Also when i changes clutches yesterday, the clutch i took off didn't look any different than it did when i put it on, when i swapped trans.

You have something wrong in the driveline and you need to find it. Drain fluids and look for clues is a good place to start.

You have something wrong in the driveline and you need to find it. Drain fluids and look for clues is a good place to start.
I literally dont know anything about driveline stuff, everyone is saying its the center differential, my clutch doesn't slip, my axles, tcase, driveshaft, and rear diff are in good condition and working, i just need to know of the center diff could be the issue.

Are you sure the transmission is actually a factory dsm transmission and not one out another vehicle? I once bought a transmission from an importer and found later it was from a Galant gsx which had a different gear ratio then the rear differential and did some weird stuff when I went on my test drive. Just a thought.

Broken crap inside and periodically they lock up. literally fragments. If that's the case it's a time bomb. Drain the fluid. You continue to speculate. If it isnt the axles I see few other possibilities.

Broken crap inside and periodically they lock up. literally fragments. If that's the case it's a time bomb. Drain the fluid. You continue to speculate. If it isnt the axles I see few other possibilities.
i planned on it, but that doesn't explain
i planned on doing all that but i really want to understand how its possible for the center diff to slip.

Center dif has gears inside it. If theyre not meshing front and rear arent connected. Same reason you cant drive awd as fwd.
If you broke the gears you have chunks floating aroud inside the center diff housing. Every once in awhile they may get in the way of each other, lock up, and you suddenly have drive again momentarily. Dont know how else to explain it. What dont you understand?

Center dif has gears inside it. If theyre not meshing front and rear arent connected. Same reason you cant drive awd as fwd.
If you broke the gears you have chunks floating aroud inside the center diff housing. Every once in awhile they may get in the way of each other, lock up, and you suddenly have drive again momentarily. Dont know how else to explain it. What dont you understand?
Actually, you explained it perfectly i understand now. But how does my car drive if the gears aren't grabbing?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back