The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Subaru Brat

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98GSXin

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2010
Santa Clara, California
I suppose I have a knack for picking up, fixing and enjoying obscure little cars as evidenced by my 89 Chrysler Conquest, 87 Suzuki Samurai and possibly soon to be 83 Subaru Brat.

The Brat is a new ballgame entirely for me. The flat 4 engine, awd, and ability to pick up/haul parts while getting acceptable gas mileage is what kind of interested me in the car. Throw on top the kick ass jump seats in the back of the car that I can carry passengers in and launch into the air via speed bumps with... and this car sounds like a winner haha.

I would like to know if anyone has knowledge about these cars and what to look for when I check this thing out later this evening. Any past experience with the car maybe? Let me know guys. Any input is appreciated.

Make sure you check the cv joints, I know subarus of that vintage were notorious for their cv joints going out a lot. I have seen some hilarious videos of lifted brats 4x4'ing. Also, check for valve cover leaks and possible head gasket issues, as you don't want to deal with those if they pop up.

While your picking up parts and getting good gas mileage you will most likely draw attention from cops. The Brats and Rampages scream pervert about as loud as possible.

Make sure you check the cv joints, I know subarus of that vintage were notorious for their cv joints going out a lot. I have seen some hilarious videos of lifted brats 4x4'ing

The fronts are bad and it is stuck in 4wd hi, but I've budgeted two new front axles/cvjoints into the price of the car. Any insight as to why it may be stuck in 4wd hi?

While your picking up parts and getting good gas mileage you will most likely draw attention from cops. The Brats and Rampages scream pervert about as loud as possible.

Uhhm.... care to delve into that one a bit further? Last time I checked I wasn't interested in creeping around late night near elementary schools...

I always likes the brats..All wheel drive and it's kind of a truck..Throw a turbo motor in there and really HAUL ass..

I had a chance to pick one up a couple years ago..And now I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy it..

Uhhm.... care to delve into that one a bit further? Last time I checked I wasn't interested in creeping around late night near elementary schools...

Ya sure no problem, basically you will buy the brat then you will end up on "to catch a predator".

There was actually a turbo model that basically turboed the stock motor and added 20 hp. And there are folks who have sti swapped them with great success. But for me I would like to get something north of 17 mpg on premium, so I will keep it stock..... for now. hahaha.

Ya sure no problem, basically you will buy the brat then you will end up on "to catch a predator".

Damn. I guess I will have to paint it in rainbow colors and get an ice cream truck ring to.. you know... blend in better. ROFL

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. I guess I will have to paint it in rainbow colors and get an ice cream truck ring to.. you know... blend in better. ROFL

Hell your not only accepting it but actually embracing it, good for you sir. Hahahahaha

I couldn't take more than a stab at why it would be stuck in 4x4, but if it has electric locking hubs then they are probably bad, or there is a switch bad, wiring bad, basically something in there isn't right. It could be as easy as a fuse, I've never owned a brat, I just know about some of the problems my parents had back in the 80's when they owned a subaru.
For the record, they sold it within 5 years at 40,000 miles after replacing the cv's something like 3 or 4 times each side.

Well then its safe to say I won't be going oem for the cv's then. haha. I don't know if they had electronic 4wd back that far. The samurai has a second shifter lever to change drive patterns and locking hubs on the outside of the wheels up front to engage 4wd... And that's 4 years newer than the brat.

^Looks like an el camino and a jeep had a baby.

Just found this online. Guess I'll be gettin all the ladies in the brat :thumb:

Attachments

• bc.jpg
    bc.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
I guess I'm like the OP. If I was rich. I'd have obscure inexpensive cars. Several of each type with various amounts spent on each, including an absurd version just for humor. :p

But as far as BRATs, I'd pick it up. Classmate had one and said it was the best car he ever had. light enough to float on snow, strong enough to pull itself out, (But not much else) and effecient enough he drove it instead of his honda.. Not sure why. :D

I guess I'm like the OP. If I was rich. I'd have obscure inexpensive cars. Several of each type with various amounts spent on each, including an absurd version just for humor. :p

But as far as BRATs, I'd pick it up. Classmate had one and said it was the best car he ever had. light enough to float on snow, strong enough to pull itself out, (But not much else) and effecient enough he drove it instead of his honda.. Not sure why. :D

If I won the lottery, I'd basically have a museum sized garage full of random cars that deserve being saved from the general population that can't appreciate them.

If I could get Honda type of gas mileage, I'd be stoked. But anything above 17mpg and on regular unleaded will be a break for my wallet.

I am now the proud owner of a 1983 Subaru Brat. In all of it's 250k mile, 4 speed manual, 73 hp, rusty and bullet hole riddled glory. I don't know why I get into these weird cars. But it makes me smile.

I'm thinking of painting it like the Subaru rally cars with the world rally blue and the yellow subie emblem on the side. But maybe in a different color scheme. White body with black emblem?

Attachments

• brat.jpg
    brat.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 144
I am now the proud owner of a 1983 Subaru Brat. In all of it's 250k mile, 4 speed manual, 73 hp, rusty and bullet hole riddled glory. I don't know why I get into these weird cars. But it makes me smile.

I'm thinking of painting it like the Subaru rally cars with the world rally blue and the yellow subie emblem on the side. But maybe in a different color scheme. White body with black emblem?

I've owned two of them so far back in the day & I would love to find one that's clean no doubt I had a Silver one with the camper shell & a front bumper push bar & the Blue one I had with came jump seat's & the flip-up center light.I really miss that Blue Brat.:cry:

I've owned two of them so far back in the day & I would love to find one that's clean no doubt I had a Silver one with the camper shell & a front bumper push bar & the Blue one I had with came jump seat's & the flip-up center light.I really miss that Blue Brat.:cry:

I'm going to pick up a set of jump seats for it later today!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back