The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Subaru 5 speed issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauleyman

DSM Wiseman
Nov 19, 2011
oklahoma city, Oklahoma
I know a few of you are are subaru people. I have a floppy shifter in a 2004 outback. I replaced all the parts and one year later it's flopping around again. What gives? It was beautiful at first but it's awful now. Worse than it was it appears.

At shifter. It's a known subaru problem. Replace the linkage at trans and all good. I did that and now 1 year later it's bad again. Used oem part too

Mine’s an auto so I can’t speak to what’s there. Certainly there’s something you could do with shifter bushings to tighten it all up?

I always used the red bushing kit from Energy Suspension and it tightens them up. After putting them in 4 Subarus, I can say that this is one of the rare cases when OEM parts are not the best.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's rare but still possible to have some other issue. I'd say 90% of the time those are the issue though.

I always used the red bushing kit from Energy Suspension and it tightens them up. After putting them in 4 Subarus, I can say that this is one of the rare cases when OEM parts are not the best.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It's rare but still possible to have some other issue. I'd say 90% of the time those are the issue though.
I did all those plus a new oem bracket u joint thing. It's was like brand new and now after a year it's loose again

Last edited:
I replaced the linkage with this one for my bugeye a number of years ago. Fixed all the slop in my shifter.

I replaced the linkage with this one for my bugeye a number of years ago. Fixed all the slop in my shifter.
I did that already with an OEM subaru part. It was great but not anymore. It's going to have to wait a little bit for me to look at it more thoroughly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back