The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

stupid cat question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rival

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 12, 2004
aiken, South_Carolina
I was told by a person in my town that if you remove the cat in a turbo something can go wrong with the head or something, due to the lack of back pressure. is this true? I always thiought you wanted to eliminate as much back pressure as you could, so it doesn't sound right, but dont want any problems if he is right.

that guy is a moron, don't listen to him

what can happen when the cat is removed, the exhaust can flow free enough to cause boost creep, which is bad. The wastegate flapper basicly gets sucked closed because the exhast around it is flowing so fast.

Internal wastegates require some pressure to operate correctly

drivemusicnow said:
the person in your town was/is stupid. however, i'll urge you to replace it with a higher flowing cat. The sound quality difference is worht it, not to mention not having to worry about emmisions.

I like the way it sounds without a cat :)

On a white car like mine, with no cat, the back bumper gets black as hell from all the soot, that would normally get caught by the cat.

And there are no emissons in MI

thats true, if I take a road trip to california, and happen to get pulled over, I dont want to get in any emissions troubles there!

I don't see how they could since your car is registered in MI. I'm in Florida and if I drove up to Massachusetts with no front plate (illegal in Mass, legal in Fl) I would not expect to be harrassed once they saw the Florida tag.

I am from Florida with Florida plates and I've been in NJ for a while now and I've never been pulled over for not having a front plate, tinted windows, and no cat. I have been pulled over and been ticketed but about other stuff.

What you need to worry about if you remove the cat is boost creep.

how would taking out the cat cause boost creep? sorry if it's a stupid question, but I am new to all of this OMG

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back