The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Stuck Valve Guides

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejollyrancher

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2012
calgary, AB_Canada
Hey,

Im trying to replace my valve guides and they will not budge at all. Ive tried an air hammer, a normal hammer, heating up the head in an oven, spraying penatrant, but NOTHING. The only option I can think of is drilling them out myself as no shop anywhere near me drills them out. Is there any good way to go about drilling them out? or is there a better option?

Thanks

Well first off there is a certain tool made to be used in an air hammer for guides. They vary by guide size/head. Secondly they are to be pressed from one direction. I can not for the life of me remember the direction though.

If I had to say, it is from the valve cover side to combustion chamber.

The Overhaul Manual explains that the old guides are pressed out from above towards the cylinder head gasket surface and once the new holes are bored for the oversize guides pressed in from above with the special tool that limits the depth of the guide.

Yes , there is a better option:
Take it to a machine shop, this is a precision procedure, if you persist on doing it yourself you will ruin the head for sure.

Agree with taking it to a machine shop. The seats need to be recut anyhow.

Take it to a machine shop, this is a precision procedure, if you persist on doing it yourself you will ruin the head for sure.

My "French" machine shop has killed my head, bad method.
Cold head and press, result : three guides playing up and down after only 2 miles.
My build is stopped from December, insurance fight since this story.

Please use a reputed machine shop for every work on our motor ...

I have a makeshift tool I made that should do the trick but it doesnt seem to be enough. Ive been trying to hammer it out that way and Ive been getting nowhere. I tried again today and ended up cracking up the guides and they still didnt budge. I just picked up a new head.

If the guides do not move with the air hammer, the head needs to be set up and leveled and be drilled out.

It sounds like the head has been thermal cleaned a couple times and locked the guides in place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back