1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

strut tower rust [Merged 1-7]

Posted by blackGSX2g, May 26, 2004

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    That will definitely need to be replaced. But it's an easy job if you have another tower to weld in. And you can do the weld work with literally any welder you can get your hands on.

The drivers side tower on the Talon that I had last year had a rust hole about twice that size. When we picked the car up on a hoist, we could actually see the strut tower flex in and out quite a bit. So it most definitely affects handling and was a big safety risk too because it would have eventually failed and come apart.

Here's my rust hole and the section we had to remove and replace.

IMG-20110203-00089.jpg

IMG-20110203-00091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

Street Build 6K  67

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    609.8 whp · 541.2 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  2. dsmTripp

dsmTripp Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2009
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Hey paul if you dont mind me asking.... did you cut a piece from a donor car for that hole or did you just use sheet metal? I have the passenger side that i will most likely be cutting as much as you did but i also have a donor car sitting beside it that i can cut the whole piece out of.

468  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    I couldn't find a good condition replacement strut tower without spending $100+. So, we ended up cutting sheets of steel and forming them and welding them in place. John @ SIM actually did it all for me. We were trading parts/services and that was his end of the deal. It was a pretty simple process though.

Street Build 6K  67

4. dsmTripp

dsmTripp Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2009
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Did they just get spot welded in or did you actually run a bead on them? I ask because i got my little wire feed welder i will be using...

468  0

manual · 2G DSM
  5. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    He ran a bead along the entire seam with a wire-feed welder.

Street Build 6K  67

6. dsmTripp

dsmTripp Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2009
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Im interested in what settings on the welder he used that way i dont run the chance of pushing holes through...

468  0

manual · 2G DSM
  7. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Good info in here, I'll need to do this eventually, If I don't sell my Dsm before that time comes LOL.

Street Build 3K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    279.1 whp · 325.3 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  8. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    It won't require much heat because that sheet metal is pretty thin. Which model welder will you be using? Most wire feed welders come with a sheet of recommended settings for various thicknesses.

Street Build 6K  67

9. dsmTripp

dsmTripp Proven Member

Joined Apr 21, 2009
    Palm Bay, Florida
    Well here is a post i posted back in your general welding thread that has pictures of my harbor freight wire feed flux/mig welder. I talked to a couple people in there and most said i would just simply be tacking it at various points until it was pretty much welded all the way around.

468  0

manual · 2G DSM
  10. The Great White

The Great White Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    So I've been looking and posting w/ no success as to getting the strut tower rust repaired. I plan on moving by the end of August to the Boston area, and my goal is to have this repair done before my move. I have the infamous rust on the passenger side strut tower (it's pretty nasty). I have a previous post of what it looked like a few months ago and it has just gotten worse since. Since then, I've bought a replacement strut tower assembly that was cut off another eclipse that is in pretty good shape and is a good size. But I went to a shop the other day and he quoted me $1500, which was 3 days of labor. Pretty crappy in my opinion. I suggested just cutting out the rust and using pieces from my replacement strut to weld in. It seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

If I had any welding experience or even a welder for that matter I'd probably just try it myself, but I don't. So it's not like I can follow the forum on all the other posts of how people fixed theirs since welding is the crucial step.

So my question is....

1) Anyone know a good, experienced, reasonable body shop in the Chicago land area, or even Boston for that matter when I move.

2) If you can rent welding equipment; from stores such Home Depot, Menards, etc.

3) Any DIY'er in the area who has done this job and done it well with no problems who could help or even guide me where to go.

Any pro-active help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

451  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  11. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    Post a pic so we can see how bad it is.
    It's condition will be a large determining factor on how much time/money it will take to fix.

Also, this may be better to post in the regional forum.

Street Build 6K  67

12. The Great White

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    99gst: Any suggestions on what you recommend in order to cut out the old rust spots in order to have a clean cut surface to weld with and for the replacements pieces to fit in easily?

451  0

· 2G DSM
  13. GRAVEDIGGER

GRAVEDIGGER Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2007
    Uniontown, Ohio
    A grinder, or sawzall is what most people use.;)

2K  18

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.149 @ 115.940 · 1G DSM
  14. The Great White

Joined Aug 9, 2011
    Upton, Massachusetts
    I'm aware of that :applause:, but you can "grind" with a lot of things, wire wheel, etc... I was hoping for more specifics. I've also heard mention of plasma cutters and cutting wheels. So I didn't know which of those would make for an easier job. Thanks

451  0

· 2G DSM
  15. GRAVEDIGGER

GRAVEDIGGER Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2007
    Uniontown, Ohio
    sawzall and/or grinder pictured are what you need to use.

Attached Files:

2K  18

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.149 @ 115.940 · 1G DSM
  16. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    An air-powered cutoff wheel is what we used.

PhotoID30282.jpg

A plasma would be the quickest and easiest way to cut the old section out, but then you'd have to spend alot of time prepping the hole afterwards to make it a weldable surface.

Street Build 6K  67

17. Cool09

Cool09 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 13, 2012
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Here's the rusty strut tower of a 2g talon I'm considering purchasing.

Y2q8y.jpg

The other side is rust free. The car runs fine and the body is in great shape. For $1000 I might go for it.

I thought perhaps the whole was too big... but there sure are some large ones in this thread that have been repaired.

18. Blurred Talon

Blurred Talon Proven Member

Joined Jan 2, 2004
    Paradise, NL, Canada
    Anything can be repaired but do you want to spend the money.

Street Build 1K  0

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  19. silv98gsx

silv98gsx Probationary Member

Joined Oct 30, 2012
    newton, Massachusetts
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  20. bewstin

bewstin Proven Member

Joined Dec 4, 2012
    Groton, Connecticut
    Alright, so here's the situation. I'm sure a lot of you have experienced strut tower rot with DSM's, as i know it's very common especially in the 2g's. Well I've owned my car for about 1.5 years, and invested about $4000 between engine rebuild, 20g and supporting mods, and other bolt ons and goodies. I've recently become concerned about my strut tower rot on my driver's side, as there is a decent tennis ball size hole by the front where the fender bolts up. Today i went to a welding shop in my town, and the guy said it would be about 500$ to fix both sides. He was telling me we'll just cut out the infection and weld in some new metal. The car is otherwise in great shape, interior is 9/10, all there, all electronics work. Exterior is in great shape as well, no rot in the trunk or quarters or anything. The big question is, is the car worth fixing?? My only other option is to find a clean 2G shell. A 2g shell will cost me much more i would assume, could have electrical issues, or could have rot in other places, and all in all just cause me more headaches, not to mention all the time and labor ill have to put in to swapping everything over. I'm leaning towards just fixing my car, but i guess input is always nice. Ill go take some pics to post up as well.

440  0

· 2G DSM
  21. OakStreetTuner

OakStreetTuner Proven Member

Joined Jun 28, 2006
    York, New York
    Ah your car has some cancer, compared to buying a new car I think it's worth it. Be sure to have a good alignment shop go through it after so you don't eat your tires off or I case the caster is off.

240  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  22. bewstin

bewstin Proven Member

Joined Dec 4, 2012
    Groton, Connecticut
    Here's some pics of each side

Bud92gsx thanks for the link, i actually looked at that one, as well as pretty much every other strut tower rot post on this forum and dsmtalk. I'm more so just trying to find out if $500 seems reasonable for my damage. Also i drive the car daily, i don't want my struts to shoot through my hood when i hit a pothole. I've put about 30k miles on the car since i've owned it, no problems so far, but how bad would you say my rot is??? From other posts I've seen much worse, but I've seen better as well.

Attached Files:

440  0

· 2G DSM
  23. V12 Killa

V12 Killa Proven Member

Joined Apr 30, 2006
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Driver's side looks to be in better shape than the passenger's side (rust around where the upper control arm bolts up is a little scary). But for $500 i'll do it & later down the road just find a cheap, rust-free AWD shell. ;)

563  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 2G DSM
  24. bewstin

bewstin Proven Member

Joined Dec 4, 2012
    Groton, Connecticut
    Yea that's what i plan on, as long as i can find one :pray:

440  0

· 2G DSM
  25. Jst4Cyl

Jst4Cyl Proven Member

Joined Nov 8, 2006
    New Castle, Indiana
    Bumping this up and will be posting pictures of my progress on my 2G. Core support needs some attention also LOL.