The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Strut tower rust [Merged]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somewhere in this thread there is a post from a guy that fixed the bottom layer by welding in a new piece there as well, then redoing the undercoating.

Yea I saw that and that's kind of what I expected would need to be done ... just wanted to see what everyone else did or why they didn't do it. Thanks for the reply.

check your local craigslist for a wrecked 2g, see if the owner will cut the strut tower for you.

That is what I did. It wasn't cheap because of the labor involved but I think it is a good option. I actually never used them though as I just decided to buy a shell and swap everything.

That is what I did. It wasn't cheap because of the labor involved but I think it is a good option. I actually never used them though as I just decided to buy a shell and swap everything.

Do you still have them and how much do you want? Are they completely rust free?

This is next on my list of things to do on my RS. Ive got it pretty bad.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Hey guys. I'm on my phone, so I'm trying my best to type this.

Long story short, the metal which holds the shafts for my upper control arms are rusting away...pics are here....http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/pittsburgh-area-dsm-forum/391205-ello-pittsburghers.html....and my idea was to clean up underneath because up too links great, then weld in new metal to hold the shafts. Can it be done?

And please don't tell me to replace the whole fender unless that's truly my only option. Money isn't an issue..But I don't wanna rip the car apart unless I have to

I went to school for welding and fabrication. A friend of mine ask me to fix his strut tower rust and here is the results.

thanks, ya he was really happy with how it turned out. He didn't think it was going to turn out like that.

Honestly, I think it could have turned out much better. The beads should have been ground down much more. At least you coulda spread some filler around on there to make a more smooth transition from the bead to the surface. How much experience have you had? If you havent had very much, Im sorry if I came off as blunt..

Welding and fabrication I have 8 years experience. I did this for free for my friend. I wasn't going to take the time and sit there and grind it till it was flat, and blended in. I would have made it flush if i had a TIG welder, but i had a crappy rented MIG welder. I did grind the edges to a point, then I used seam sealer. Primed all of it and called it a day. I didn't have many resources, so i made it work for with what i had to work with.

1. It looks like there is more rust that you didn't cut out. (Hard to tell with blurry picture)
2. You should have removed the fender to get to what might be rusted under the edge.
3. I can't see the welds, but I'd completely weld since this is so structurally important.
4. I see a lot of splatter that could have been cleaned up.
5. The paint finish doesn't look the best.

But if it was for free, just to get the job done and be safe, then it looks good to me.

1. It looks like there is more rust that you didn't cut out. (Hard to tell with blurry picture)
2. You should have removed the fender to get to what might be rusted under the edge.
3. I can't see the welds, but I'd completely weld since this is so structurally important.
4. I see a lot of splatter that could have been cleaned up.
5. The paint finish doesn't look the best.

But if it was for free, just to get the job done and be safe, then it looks good to me.

hmmm well........ one if you ever welded before those brown marks are burn marks not RUST. NO shit you cant see the welds cause it was coated with seam sealer. Ummm the fender was removed but you would know that cause you were there? Lol that is primer not paint. I didnt have a wire wheel to get all the splatter marks off.

hmmm well........ one if you ever welded before those brown marks are burn marks not RUST.
Like I said, the pic is blurry. It looks like there is a gap between the new metal and the strut tower at the top of the pic. Yes, I have welded.

NO shit you cant see the welds cause it was coated with seam sealer.
I was referring to the first pic. That metal just looks like it's in for a test fitment or a tack weld.

Ummm the fender was removed but you would know that cause you were there?
Good enough. But you put it back on before paint?

Lol that is primer not paint. I didnt have a wire wheel to get all the splatter marks off.
Ok. That's some sparkly primer.

Like I said, the pic is blurry. It looks like there is a gap between the new metal and the strut tower at the top of the pic. Yes, I have welded.

I was referring to the first pic. That metal just looks like it's in for a test fitment or a tack weld.

Good enough. But you put it back on before paint?

Ok. That's some sparkly primer.

I wasnt trying to be an ass towards you. But when people make assumptions it gets really annoying.

I wasnt trying to be an ass towards you. But when people make assumptions it gets really annoying.

It's also annoying when people ask for opinions and get mad if they aren't 100% positive reinforcement.

The only assumption I made was that it looked like there was more under the fender that you may not have gotten.

I've done this repair before and I know what a pain in the ass it is, so I give anyone credit for trying to fix the mess that plagues all 2g strut towers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with Brian, there appears to be more rust that you didn't cut out..But you did a great job with what you did..It looks great..I probably would have grinded the welds down flush..But that's just me, I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to welding and such..Keep up the good work..

It's also annoying when people ask for opinions and get mad if they aren't 100% positive reinforcement.

The only assumption I made was that it looked like there was more under the fender that you may not have gotten.

I've done this repair before and I know what a pain in the ass it is, so I give anyone credit for trying to fix the mess that plagues all 2g strut towers.

No you thought that there was rust still, umm that it was painted, also that i didnt take the fender off

Can't complain if someone fixes the holes in your strut tower for free :hellyeah:

thats what im saying. The guy that was going to do it for him wanted 250 bucks. I told him id do it for free since he has helped me in the past.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back