The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Strut tower bar for 7.95

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shipping was 13.95
Insurance was 2.00
Strut bar was 7.95
Total was 23.90

I will let you know how it fits in about a week.

Quick question: Are the lower tie ends needed as well? I only ordered the tops.

i have a strut bar that looks just like that on my car (came with the car). it isn't bad but you could probably install a washer between the chassis and plate it comes with they tend to get bent up pretty good with the way they bolt down. other than that it isn't to bad.....

Finally received both strut bars. Ordered them separately the same day and some how I got the front strut bar a week later :hmm:

Anyway, I read a few threads about fires being caused by sturt bars and batteries. So I took my time and wrapped my front bar with electrical tape. I think it looks 10x sexier. I also have my battery tied down, I will go tomorrow to buy a red rubber cover for the positive battery terminal. Other than that, the install was quick, easy, and fun :thumb:

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• sturt bar 1.5.jpg
    sturt bar 1.5.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 331
  • strut bar1.jpg
    strut bar1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 326
  • strut bar front left.jpg
    strut bar front left.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 331
  • strut bar front right.jpg
    strut bar front right.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 331
  • strut bar front clearance.jpg
    strut bar front clearance.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 333
  • strut bar front installed.jpg
    strut bar front installed.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 336
Anyway, I read a few threads about fires being caused by sturt bars and batteries. So I took my time and wrapped my front bar with electrical tape. I think it looks 10x sexier.

ROFL

Sorry, but the electrical tape looks ghetto. REALLY ghetto. Besides the fact that all you really need for protection from the positive terminal on the battery is a little rubber cover and to make sure the battery is anchored down properly.

I could see coating it with truck bed liner, or painting it with a wrinkle paint if you want some sort of look like that. But I am with the above guy, looks cheap and ghetto. Sorry dude but it does.

Got mine a few weeks ago...Havent had a chance to put it on since my tranny is pulled and i have the engine hanging since there is only one motor mount holding the engine in. Will post pics once i get my tranny back in...I got this and a short shifter for about $$45 from them. Ill let you know how that short shifter is also.

ROFL

Sorry, but the electrical tape looks ghetto. REALLY ghetto. Besides the fact that all you really need for protection from the positive terminal on the battery is a little rubber cover and to make sure the battery is anchored down properly.

You must not have read the threads I have. This guy did have that "little rubber cover" and a few more things and it still caught fire. But yes opinions are appreciated. But honestly, I think it looks badass. I think your just mad you didn't do it first LOL

And since when is using electrical tape to stop electrical fires really ghetto? :aha:

And since when is using electrical tape to stop electrical fires really ghetto? :aha:

Electrical tape is most commonly used to pull wires through conduits, hence the name. I use the stuff everyday for telecom work, and we don't use it as insulation for splicing or connecting. There are much better insulators out there for protecting against electrical current.

That said, you're not even using it on wiring, you wrapped your strut-tower bar with it. ROFL

That's gonna look even better after it gets hot a few times. :thumb:

If you just anchor your battery down properly so it doesn't move, you wouldn't have to worry about the positive post arcing against the bar anyway.

Im almost positive it's backwards. You see how on the driver's side the bar slopes UP right away (to go over the terminals) and the pass side has a longer flat spot (this is supposed to go on the driver side).

But I could be wrong.

Im almost positive it's backwards. You see how on the driver's side the bar slopes UP right away (to go over the terminals) and the pass side has a longer flat spot (this is supposed to go on the driver side).

But I could be wrong.

Way to point that out. I installed mine about 2 weeks ago and it was opposite of those pics, after i was looking to see if he was wrong or if i was, i read your post. I agree, he installed it backwards. The side with the arc should be over the battery. Thus making it more safe from fires as the debate is talking about.:D

Last edited:
Way to point that out. I installed mine about 2 weeks ago and it was opposite of those pics, after i was looking to see if he was wrong or if i was, i read your post. I agree, he installed it backwards. The side with the arc should be over the battery. Thus making it more safe from fires as the debate is talking about.:D

Good looking out!! I'll fix it tomorrow while I'm doing an oil change :thumb:

Mine has the lower side on the passenger side. There's still plenty of clearance between it and the battery. Just make sure you have a battery tie down. You need to have one to race at just about any track anyways.

Mine has the lower side on the passenger side. There's still plenty of clearance between it and the battery. Just make sure you have a battery tie down. You need to have one to race at just about any track anyways.

Turns out not all strut bars are the same. It is NOT installed backwards. Took you guys word for it and wasted a whole 20 mins flipping it and trying to close the hood :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back