The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

struggling to idle and rev up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyw88

Probationary Member
Oct 7, 2011
Meadville, Mississippi
Ive had this car for a while now and i still cant figure it out . ok first thing , its not charging the battery , i had the alternator rebuilt earlier this year and its still doing it . second wont idle till after it warms up for 5 mins an i have to keep it full throttle just to get it to 4000. then after running for about 20 mins and driving down the road some it will just stall as soon as it goes to idle then the battery is dead cause its not charging . somebody help cause i need this car for college becasue im in the city now .

I would take the alternator off and go get it tested, to be POSITIVE it is ok. Then check the wiring, from the alternator all the way to the battery, then check the battery for good, solid connections. Then check for loose connections, burnt insulation, etc. at the alternator.. In addition, check to be sure the Alt. belt is tight.

Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest to take the alternator to be tested which when they test it there is no load to get tested correctly, I would suggest you to test it your self, Just get a multimeter and check the volts, check at the starter point, at the battery and you should see the same volts, you should see 13 or over volts, if you see 12.5 or less, then your alternator is bad, but if you see good volts at the alternator side and low voltage at the battery, they you have a problem with the wires or the alternator fuse.

Check that and report back the results.

got the alternator rebuilt and still didnt fix the problem , checked the 80A fuse and relay and got some off of a parts car and now its charging , so fixed that problem :thumb: . now im still having a studdering issue , rough idle , have to put throttle almost to floor to get off idle then wont go past 6000 in neutral . When i go down the road it feels like it has no power , with the throttle to the floor i still cant get over 55

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back