The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Struggle of a budget

Should I go ahead and turbo my 4g64 sohc? Or put a 4g63 dohc on the 4g64 and have it nt for awhile?

• Turbo sohc

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 4g64 dohc nt

Votes: 11 91.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okay perfect thats what my buddys got for sale.

But that is what that message says in the pic, that the ecu isnt plugged in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how tempting good deals can be and all but for the immense amount of tunability to be had I'd opt to go with an ECM Tuning set up for a 2G. No fuss, no muss and all the tuning aids you'd need for either NA or turbo.

I know, I know, it's more $$, but don't let the "I wanna have it NOW's!" get the best of makin a better decision w/a heck of a lot more advantages in the long run ;>)

yeah but like i said its a budget build. plus the black box does alot for the price. i mean ill get ecm link if i find one for around 200$ but im not spending three times the amount for almost the same thing.

there were dohc 4g64. but that was only in the 94 gallants in non turbo form. all you need is the 4g64 dohc gears and the dohc 4g64 timing belt. a 3g ecu can work but none were ever turbo. get a turbo ecu and if its a 5 speed match it to a 5 speed ecu. it won't pull power in high rpm as autos do. the 3g also didn't come with a knock sensor if i'm remembering correct. either get a black box ecu from a 2g or an evo 7-9 ecu

Forgot all about the 94 DOHC Galant havin NA cams, sheesh! Nice save eclenger!

You can also use adjustable cam gears out of a 4g63 but gettin 'em set up right is trickier, so yeah the Mitsu DOHC 4g64 gears do make it a bit easier

yeah but like i said its a budget build. plus the black box does alot for the price. i mean ill get ecm link if i find one for around 200$ but im not spending three times the amount for almost the same thing.

I'd say a 3G ecu and a piggy back knock controller is hardly the same thing as an ECM Link set up. The tunability of an ECM Link set up is far better than what you're comparin it to.

But, if you find an ECM Link for $200 ... ask 'em if they have a 1G for that price too!!

I wouldn't comment against the flashable ECU's unless you've actually run one and found the limits of it, wrenchspinner. Flashable ECUs have quite a lot of features that ECMLink STILL doesn't have. For that matter they had a ton of stuff before ECMLink even had anything other than sliders for your timing and fuel maps.

Flex-fuel capability, 3D speed density maps, boost by gear, Speed density period, just to name a few features the flashable guys had quite awhile before Link did. Add to that it's a much faster, and better, ECU than the 95-97 ECUs. It's an incredible tuning solution, absolutely as powerful or more powerful than ECMLink is. ECMLink's only advantage is the support you get with it.

yeah but it does what i need it to do. yeah later on when i have extra 600$ laying around and i want 400whp ill get one but for now it just not feasible for me. im not hateing on ecm link at all its a great program but just cant do it right now. the 3g ecu is cheaper than a safc and does alot for the price im gonna be paying for it all. ill have 50$ including cable and jumper harness and ecu together. for the price it just out weighs everything else right now. you know what i mean?

Forged rods are still forged no matter what
they are strong rods. but the extra stroke applies more stress on the rods than the 4g63 would. you'd see this in any stroker build. the rods are the same. crank has about 13.5mm more to the compression stroke. you can use the stock rods but with the extra stroke distance the rods will bend easier.

It has nothing physically to do with the actual demensions of the rod itself but everything to do with piston speed and the side loading of the walls which affect the rod ratio itself given respect or directly proportional to the rotating mass of the assembly itself... I said it before I will say it again the stroke itself makes the rods no weaker than the turbo rods it's the piston speed and side loading of the cylinder walls from the natural events occurring in the engine itself that weaken the rods as the amount of sustained high-rpm use increases thus increasing the loads on the bottom end with increased rpm. Dude he has what will be a naturally aspirated Dohc 2.4. The engine from the factory is already rated at 30 more hp and make at least 30-40ft-lbs more torque. With that being said one of the bigger of the short coming of this engine is flow as the stock Sohc head is sufficient and responds well to boost but is a huge restriction in this application. Tests and data that has been verified time and time again prove this as some have seen gains as high as 100whp with cams and other supporting mods but most will gain at least 40-60 more horsepower without any major mods other than a tune and the bigger injectors needed to accomidate that extra flow the Dohc head provides. Plus with 30 more hp than a naturally aspirated 2.0 with only half the flow potential and a little less efficienticy is it really necessary to rev the piss out of it to make power when just the head swap alone with supporting mods have the capability of 170-195whp making their way to the tarmac considering your engine itself is still healthy and has good compression before you start.

Ok, I stand corrected then.

No stranger to makin mistakes, afterall, I've been married 3 times, so ... :>)

100% agreed. I'm corrected all the damn time. You either get super insecure about it, or just shrug it off and chalk it up to lesson learned.

Props for being a man about it. :) We need more of that around here.

Forged rods are still forged no matter what

It has nothing physically to do with the actual demensions of the rod itself but everything to do with piston speed and the side loading of the walls which affect the rod ratio itself given respect or directly proportional to the rotating mass of the assembly itself... I said it before I will say it again the stroke itself makes the rods no weaker than the turbo rods it's the piston speed and side loading of the cylinder walls from the natural events occurring in the engine itself that weaken the rods as the amount of sustained high-rpm use increases thus increasing the loads on the bottom end with increased rpm. Dude he has what will be a naturally aspirated Dohc 2.4. The engine from the factory is already rated at 30 more hp and make at least 30-40ft-lbs more torque. With that being said one of the bigger of the short coming of this engine is flow as the stock Sohc head is sufficient and responds well to boost but is a huge restriction in this application. Tests and data that has been verified time and time again prove this as some have seen gains as high as 100whp with cams and other supporting mods but most will gain at least 40-60 more horsepower without any major mods other than a tune and the bigger injectors needed to accomidate that extra flow the Dohc head provides. Plus with 30 more hp than a naturally aspirated 2.0 with only half the flow potential and a little less efficienticy is it really necessary to rev the piss out of it to make power when just the head swap alone with supporting mods have the capability of 170-195whp making their way to the tarmac considering your engine itself is still healthy and has good compression before you start.

I repeat it again with anything less than a big 16G and 20-22psi there is no need to rev this engine above 7500rpms and absolutely no physical or logical reasons to rev this combination to or subject the stock valvetrain and pistons to the harmonics and the side loading the 8200rpm threshold provides in order to make power and torque with this combination. In fact revving this combination past 6800rpm in any way using the stock valvetrain period is just a waste of rpm and extra stress on the bottom end that's completely uncalled for.

Love to see it running and hear just how the 3g ecu works out as this info has me scratching my head and wondering about this upgrade for my own budget build. P.S. I say budget cause I'm still clueless as to how Farr I wanna go with it and just how much is needed to complete the Awd swap I have in mind for it in the future and whether it will stay manual or auto decisions, decisions

My first Eclipse was a 92 GS. It was very fun to drive even though it was not fast. When I ask anyone about putting a turbo on it I remember them always telling me to sell it and buy a GS turbo or GSX.

LOL yeah thats just to easy though. LOL and i will post a video of it running, it will be a little while though.

oh could i go ahead and throw the dohc on it with out a tune?

why run it without a tune? it'd still run decent. but why not get a wide band and the tactrix cable and tune it for most performance it can make?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back