The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Strong Clutch with smooth engagement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stGENracer

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2002
Lewiston, Idaho
Well I was drag racing the other nite, and my clutch starting slipping, I knew it was going to happen, and it did. I'm looking for a good strong clutch with a some what smooth engagement, I will be using it in my daily driver. I don't mind if it doesn't engage as smooth as a stock one, but I want one that won't be to harsh for daily driving. I also will be drag racing, so I need one that will also hold up to that. I will be running 18psi, and I will have some other mods like 3" turbo back, FMIC by the time I will be drag racing, so i need one that will hold up to it. I'm also looking to pay probably about $325 - $375 for the clutch.

Also does anyone know of a place that sells a lightened stock flywheel?

Thanx

i have the ACT 2600, nothing but one problem after the other. If you get this clutch, you'll love that it grabs. I've had for at least 4 months and i had to change the the master cylinder, slave, purchase taboo speed shops extended cylinder rod, their billet clutch fork, replace the fulcrum pivot ball in the bell housing, remove the clutch accumulator, and use a ss hose to bypass it. hours of adjustment. 2600 is good just be prepared for these problems. this clutch is so strong that it bent the cylinder rod in the slave into an "L". I spent $800. for parts and labor to get my ACT 2600 to work rite. I have been told that anything uner 300 hp the ACT 2100 will work fine. and w/o all of the problems of the 2600.

Thank you.

I was looking at another clutch that is suppose to grab as good as the ACT 2600, but it uses a "grabber" disc instead, and 2100 plate so it doesn't have those problems, so maybe I will go with that to save me some $ on other parts.

Centerforce CFDF 2500. Not as good as the ACT 2600 for repeated drag launches but holds my power great, engages smooth while feeling like stock, and won't break other driveline parts like the ACT clutch will.

Tom

I just installed the Centerforce on my car and it engages a little bit harder than stock, but i also put a fidanza in at the same time so that might have some effect on it. So far I really like the feel of it. But i havent broken it in yet.
-Dallas J

Originally posted by 1stGENracer
How well would a ACT 2100 work with a 6 puck disc?
As for your first question, RRE sells reasonably lightened stock flywheels (some other shops tend to go a bit overboard which may lead to cracking and shattering of the severely lightened flywheels when overheated).
Most puck discs tend to be quite hard on the flywheel due to their more agressive material of the friction surface while resulting in clutch chatter and harsh engagement as well. If your car is a daily driver with less than 400HP and only occassional track/race use, I'd recommend either the ACT2100+street disc or CFDF, not easier only on the hydraulic clutch system, flywheel and your left leg, but also your thrust bearing and driveline.

Just a little update on the clutch. I pulled a 1.83 60 with the centerforce and fidanza.

I just set the stutterbox to 5500, let .5bar boost build, then dumped the clutch(after making sure i had no drive train slack of course) I spun all for for just a sec then i was off...

-Dallas J

I would just get a 2600 (if you think your left leg can handle it for stop and go driving) and put a 97 GSX clutch disk in with it instead of the ACT disk. Smoother engagement, and it doesn't seem as harsh on the driveline.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back