The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Stripping urethane bumper cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh4000

Probationary Member
Jan 20, 2014
Nashville, Tennessee
I need to strip my front bumper cover, 1991 AWD. It was painted with no flex additive and the paint chips off in chunks. I need to take it down to the substrate before painting it again. Reading on the web, it sounds like sodablasting or chemical stripping are the two ways to approach this. I can't find a urethane safe stripper though. Any Ideas? SEM used to make a urethane bumper stripper, and it was relabeled by a few different companies, but it was discontinued in 2019. I can't find a local sodablaster either.

Not sure if you ever got this sorted out, but I've got an option for you.

Typically in a body shop what we do, is just sand the bumper with 80 grit. This is the fastest and easiest way to strip the bumper. Once you get rid of all the paint with the 80, you're going to go back over it all again with 180 to get rid of all those deep scratches and little fuzzies from the bumper. Once you've hit it all with 180, shoot it with some 2k primer and let that cure. Go back over that with some 400 grit sand paper to cut all the texture out of the primer and get a nice smooth surface. Once the 400 is done, move on to 600. Clean it real well and paint it. Cut and buff after clear if necessary. Also make sure to add the flex additive to the primer as well, because if all layers of paint don't have flex additive, it's like none of them do. So make sure every different kind of paint that goes on that bumper, primer, base coat and clear, has flex additive in it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back