The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Stripped Spark Plug

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattasi

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 22, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Ok this has not happened to me thank god, but I was putting new spark plugs into the gsx yesterday and was wondering. what happens when someone over tightens the spark plugs and strip out the treads in the motor? How is that fixed? This happen to anyone before?

Ok this has not happened to me thank god, but I was putting new spark plugs into the gsx yesterday and was wondering. what happens when someone over tightens the spark plugs and strip out the treads in the motor? How is that fixed? This happen to anyone before?

I hope I never find out first hand, but what you would need to do is remove the head and take it to a machine shop and see if they could repair the threads.

It can be done with the head still left on with using a helicoil set, but more easier with head off ..

(Ya, don't even think about that one - start the plugs by hand until they seat to eliminate the possibility of cross threading since you got an aluminum head there, then finish with the wrench to proper torque range..)

There are spark plug hole repair kits at most Auto parts stores. Ask any Gen 2 Lightning guys about this. Its a bad issue with their stock heads.

My vehicle has a stripped spark plug well. I found this out when I changed the plugs right after buying my car; one spark plug was thicker around the threads than all the others. I am not sure what the previous owner did, but every time I change my plugs, i have to get a thread adapter for one of the plugs. Everything runs fine; so far it just proves to be a minor inconvenience.

but it can be a huge problem. When I hade my 1st gen probe I had a stripped spark plug well. Luckily I had a friend with a machine shop (well, dads machine shop) to fix it.

When the plug washer begins to seat with the head and you feel resistance when turning down the plug, you only need to turn the wrench a quarter turn afterwards - that pretty well sets the torque requirements.

On a side note for taper based, washerless plugs: only an eighth of a turn for them to be tight.

..and don't use the wrench to start the plugs. Take the extension shaft off the wrench with the socket still on the end (and it helps if you have that foam or rubber insert inside the socket to hold the plug) and hand start your plugs until they begin to seat on the head, to easily prevent any form of cross threading.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back