The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved Stripped Mani-Head Stud Hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumpaumpalumpa

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2014
La Habra, California
I was just about finish installing the manifold when the upper leftmost stud decided it wanted to eat the threads in the head (@<22ft/lbs). So it stripped and using a longer bolt didn't work either. I can't afford to pull the head again which leads me to my question....... As long as I drill tap and get the timesert in there dead straight, will I still have to pull the head? There is adequate room as the radiator, turbo, IC, and everything is out of the way. As far as I can tell with a flashlight and a long bolt, ALL of the holes on the head for the manifold are blind holes with the exception of the bottom center one which passes through an oil galley.

To sum up, is it a blind hole? If I get everything straight, will there be a problem?

For anyone who sees this in the future, the threads are all M8x1.25.

Just take painters tape or electrical tape and mark the depth you need to go on the drill bit and don't go past that mark. As long as you are perfectly straight you should be just fine. Only thing I can think of that's close is the passage for the oil feed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back