The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stripped it again! Question for Justin?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
So I put a 20g on my new GVR4. Was very careful when putting the banjo bolt for the oil feed back into the head. I've seen many people strip the threads in the head, and always couldn't figure out why they weren't more careful. Well it was leaking due to the fact I originally used one size too large crush washer. So I was leaving work, and grabbed a couple of the correct sized crush washers and "threw" them on. Well needless to say I cross threaded it and stripped it.

I was in a hurry, my wife was calling me to get home. So I blame her!

Anyways, I can't find an M10x1.0 helicoil anywhere, I mean anywhere. I can, however, find an M10x1.5 banjo bolt and helicoil. Only thing is the holes in the banjo bolt are much smaller then the factory bolt.

Will one with a smaller hole provide enough oil for the mhi bastard 20g?

Thanks for any help!

Threads are damaged/gone. They came out with the banjo bolt when I removed it. I have drilled and helicoiled and old talon's oil feed tube and it worked fine. But I was able to find the factory M10x1.0 helicoil back then, I just can't find one anywhere now.

So basically I just need to know if a banjo bolt with a smaller hole in it will provide enough oil to the turbo? Or is it not a good idea and should I maybe try to drill out the hole in the bolt and make it larger?

I'm just stuck using a M10x1.5 bolt, instead of the fact M10x1.0 due to availability.

Drill the M10 x1.5 banjo bolt out to the size of the M10 x 1.0 oil holes.

The thread pitch is 10x1.25, not 10x1.0. You could try cleaning the threads up as mentioned above, or helicoil. If you do either, use some heavy grease on the drill bit and the tap, go nice and slow to try and catch the shavings, and I have even used a piece of 3/8 outside diameter pneumatic tubing inserted into a shop vac hose and then stick the tubing into the hole to vacuum out as much of the shavings as possible.
A tip for installing the oil line from head to turbo is to always loosen both banjo bolts and get both started by hand. You should be able to easily hand tighten both bolts before using the wrench to torque them down and if you cannot, something is wrong.

Why does everyone assume that a "Helicoil" is the only way to save threads. Truth be told, they are one of the worst thread repair options around. There are plenty of better options like "Timesert"

This is basically a copy of a helicoil
POWERCOIL Helical Thread Repair Kit, M10x1.0, 15 Pcs - Thread Insert Kits - 5UUT9|3523-10.00K - Grainger Industrial Supply

Or the better option
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/TIME-SERT-Metric-Thread-Repair-1010/dp/B001JK8020/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1375195659&sr=1-5&keywords=time-sert+m10x1.0[/ame]
There you are, M10 x 1.0 thread repair kit.

Why does everyone assume that a "Helicoil" is the only way to save threads. Truth be told, they are one of the worst thread repair options around. There are plenty of better options like "Timesert"

This is basically a copy of a helicoil
POWERCOIL Helical Thread Repair Kit, M10x1.0, 15 Pcs - Thread Insert Kits - 5UUT9|3523-10.00K - Grainger Industrial Supply

Or the better option
Amazon.com: NEW TIME-SERT M10 X 1.00 Metric Thread Repair Kit 1010: Automotive
There you are, M10 x 1.0 thread repair kit.

I agree that Time-serts are excellent, but if a guy were to be only repairing one hole, he could do it with a Helicoil and save $50. Time-serts are expensive and tough to justify for repair of one hole.

Either way, if it were mine, I'd go the route posted in the link in post #3. It's easy, effective, and far cheaper than any thread repair kit.

I agree that Time-serts are excellent, but if a guy were to be only repairing one hole, he could do it with a Helicoil and save $50. Time-serts are expensive and tough to justify for repair of one hole.

Either way, if it were mine, I'd go the route posted in the link in post #3. It's easy, effective, and far cheaper than any thread repair kit.

I will agree, I install bunches of heli-coils, and if installed properly, will work well.

I would go broke if I had to buy all the sizes of timeserts, yes they are a solid repair, but still a bit pricey for most thread repairs.

The repair link in post #3, if you have the taps and drill bits, is about $2 and 30 mins. It is basically a timesert you make, just not a need for a bunch of different kits.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back