The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Stripped Head Bolt Socket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talonwrx2002

Banned Member
Dec 30, 2004
Rockville, Maryland
ok i got all the bolts on the head loose... except one that i have broken 4 craftsman hex head sockets on and it ended up rounding off the inside so question how in the world am i gonna get them out ?????

LMK
Thanks MUCH!!!

talonwrx2002 said:
ok i got all the bolts on the head loose... except one that i have broken 4 craftsman hex head sockets on and it ended up rounding off the inside so question how in the world am i gonna get them out ?????

Not picking on your grammar but you say one left and them out, was that supposed to be it??

Did you try working it back and forward?

You can flag down a Snap-On tool truck or stop if you see one at a repair shop. Buy the next size up and then grind it down until it just starts to fit. With a hammer drive it into the head bolt socket, if it doesn't fit you wall have marks which you can grind down until you can make it fit but it must be driven in tight if you are to have a chance. If that fails or you elect to bypass that step you can select a drill bit the same diameter as the bolt shank and drill the bolt head so it will come off.

Before you do this you will need to use a hammer and a substantial punch to shock the bolt in hopes you can break any rust loose that may be binding the shank to the head. Once the bolt head is removed you will then will be faced with removing the cylinder head. This may be nothing other than lifting it up over what remains of the bolt shank. You can now address what remains with several tools which we can discuss when you get the head off.

Cheers,
GTM

Oil them up - reinstall & retorque ALL the other Head Bolts, then counterattack the problem Head Bolt first. This is why I reccommend doing this job with only 1/2 Drive Impact Grade Hex Bits.

well, what BUCK sugguests is probably going to help you. If for some reason it does not, the try using the bolt removers, the socket kind that remove rounded off bolts. I know yours are the hex kind, but you should be able to dig into em an get em out. GL! - Josh

I managed to do the same thing as you breaking about 3 craftsman hex sockets. I know its a rigged way but the past 2 heads i have pulled i just got an allen wrench and cut it. Then i put it in a 1/2" drive socket with a breaker bar and have yet to brake a socket or allen wrench.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back