The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G stretching ARP rod bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herms99gst

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2009
stanley, Virginia
I was wondering if the rod bolts for the arps can be stretched in the block.the vice i have will not allow me to torque them to 73 ft lbs. because it just wont hold it...i was wondering if i can install my rods and pistons and torque them in the block to stretch the bolts. I believe my paper says they have to be torqued three times to get the correct amount of stretch. I have the 7/16 arp rod bolts and they require 73 ft. bls. Any suggestions?

Those rod bolts are toast. The measurement is taken at the shank of the bolt, not the head. Not to mention you must have the rods resized by a machinist after changine rod bolts. I'm really surprised you havent broken a bolt, or pullet the threads out of the rod. Torque specs for a 2g arp rod bolt are 37 ft/lbs.

i couldnt torque them to that level. The paper i have that came with my eagle rods have 6 different torque spec for 6 different types of bolts they use. My rods have the 7/16 arp 2000 rod bolt. It says torque should be 75ft lbs?

sorry for the bump but its not a 7 bolt block its a 6 bolt

I've got ARP rod bolts on Evo rods. Anyway, I'm kind of confused because the little sheet that they came with says to torque to 26 ft/lbs. Everywhere else says torque to 37 ft/lbs. Which value should I use?

Hi, Arp web site does list a torque and stretch spec for their bolts. However any time I deal with them they say just to torque it to the spec they give. I also know people that swear but the stretch numbers. I have had no problems just torquing them to spec.

As for you Evo bolts what part number are they?

107-6001 40ft/lbs
107-6002 37ft/lbs
107-6003 35ft/lbs
107-6004 32ft/lbs

Hi, Arp web site does list a torque and stretch spec for their bolts. However any time I deal with them they say just to torque it to the spec they give. I also know people that swear but the stretch numbers. I have had no problems just torquing them to spec.

As for you Evo bolts what part number are they?

107-6001 40ft/lbs
107-6002 37ft/lbs
107-6003 35ft/lbs
107-6004 32ft/lbs

107-6002, same part number for 94-99 DSM's and Evo 4-9. I'll probably just torque them to 37 ft/lbs. The sheet also says it's for part numbers 107-6002 and 107-6022, but it looks like the application is the same for both part numbers.

ARP woll provide (or used too) two torque values, one with ARP moly lube the lowere value and one with 30wt oil the higher value

ARP woll provide (or used too) two torque values, one with ARP moly lube the lowere value and one with 30wt oil the higher value

I'll check again when I get home, but I think the sheet said 26 ft/lbs with ARP assembly lube. The assembly lube was included in the package. I would measure the stretch, but I didn't measured them before they were installed and they've been torqued to 26 ft/lbs several times already.

the sheet says torque to 26 ft/lbs or stretch to .006-.0065 using the ARP assembly lube. Guess I'll email ARP and see what they say.

Well, I decided to torque the rod bolts to 37 ft./lbs. Unfortunately on my third torque sequence on the first rod, it seemed like it was taking way too much to torque one of the nuts...... and eventually the bolt snapped :ohdamn:

So now it looks like I need to buy a new set and get the end re-sized :cry: Anyone know if you can buy just one ARP rod bolt? I was thinking of just getting a stock one if I can't....

Well, I decided to torque the rod bolts to 37 ft./lbs. Unfortunately on my third torque sequence on the first rod, it seemed like it was taking way too much to torque one of the nuts...... and eventually the bolt snapped :ohdamn:

So now it looks like I need to buy a new set and get the end re-sized :cry: Anyone know if you can buy just one ARP rod bolt? I was thinking of just getting a stock one if I can't....

Fail.

I don't understand what you are trying to do with a vise? So do you have the rods in the block and are torquing them on the crank. I have mine to 37ft/lbs.

Do you have Eagle Rods?

I was wondering if the rod bolts for the arps can be stretched in the block.the vice i have will not allow me to torque them to 73 ft lbs. because it just wont hold it...i was wondering if i can install my rods and pistons and torque them in the block to stretch the bolts. I believe my paper says they have to be torqued three times to get the correct amount of stretch. I have the 7/16 arp rod bolts and they require 73 ft. bls. Any suggestions?

Thats where

you guys sure it's "73 ft/lbs"? that's a LOT for a rod bolt. My ARp's only had to go to 40 pounds 3 times. but they are on 1g rods, not sure if there's a difference on evo parts or if i have 7/16th's cause i didn't measure, just did what i was told

i still have the sheet with the typo. Their site has the correct torque values. Ive just seen in muscle car mags and also on tv where engine builders will use a vice to hold the rod so they can stretch the bolt outside the block, than install the rod in the block.

Well, the OP was using vice. I just found this thread and added to it since I thought it was relevant.

Oh I see what happened there. You should have just started another thread to avoid confusion. Are they bolts or studs?

Torque to 37ft/lbs when you get the rod fixed. Do you have all the other torque specs?

i still have the sheet with the typo. Their site has the correct torque values. Ive just seen in muscle car mags and also on tv where engine builders will use a vice to hold the rod so they can stretch the bolt outside the block, than install the rod in the block.

I think they put the rod in the vise so it is easier for you to see their demonstration on bolt stretch when you torque them. They are not meant to be stretched in a vise and then stretched again once installed. That is setting you up for a rod cap coming loose.

I ordered 107-6022 which is for a pair of rod bolts instead of a whole set. Problem was the socket wasn't fully seated on the nut when I was tightening it the first time. I noticed today that it looks like the machine shop had to grind away some material on the rod cap in order to get some clearance for the socket. When I was tightening the nut, the socket was at an angle and it was pulling it to the side as I was turning it. Hence the reason why the bolt snapped. I made sure the socket was on there fully this time and torqued them all to 37 ft/lbs. :)

I'll check again when I get home, but I think the sheet said 26 ft/lbs with ARP assembly lube. The assembly lube was included in the package. I would measure the stretch, but I didn't measured them before they were installed and they've been torqued to 26 ft/lbs several times already.

the sheet says torque to 26 ft/lbs or stretch to .006-.0065 using the ARP assembly lube. Guess I'll email ARP and see what they say.

The sheet I got said 26 also. I have a 7 bolt with evo 9 pistons and rods. Anybody know what I should torque my arp's to?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back