The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Streetablity and HP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
Ok which is this best for streetablity and max hp (best of both worlds turbo). Big T28, Big 16g, 20g, T3/T4 60Trim, or L1R. The turbo would be on a car with full 3", Intake, MBC, 255pump, betterBOV, and S-AFC. Just wanting an opinion and I know the results are gonna vary so just give your reason on why you think it is good for streetablity and power.

20G or L1R if you have the money. You need injectors for either turbo.

all of them are good choices but in my opinion the L1R is the best choice. The guys at AGP make great turbo systems.

If money is no issue, L1R has great spool and top end. And it's pure bolt on, assuming you have supporting mods to use it. Your mods list didn't include injectors, which you will need.

AGP L2r is very street able also. it has 20g spool but big turbo power. full boost at 3500 rpm and below is exactly like a 20g or a green but the AGP L2r is a much larger turbo that delivers more power than the green or 20g. dont forget about the L2R.

Manny
92 GSX

Originally posted by Neuera05GST
What about the FP Green?
I agree! FP green all the way! I just wished I could afford it. For now I'm going to see what I can get out of the FP Big28. IMHO you need to go with a company or turbo that has been proven numerous times. A FP green should be very streetable, and provide awesome power with the right supporting mods, along with some great TUNING.

Originally posted by AWDGSXownsU
AGP L2r is very street able also. it has 20g spool but big turbo power. full boost at 3500 rpm and below is exactly like a 20g or a green but the AGP L2r is a much larger turbo that delivers more power than the green or 20g. dont forget about the L2R.

Manny
92 GSX

Do you have anything to back up your statement that a L2R makes more power than a Green or 20G? Do you have a dyno Sheet? What times have you run with a L2R?

what about a big 16g?
without a bigger ic the bigger turbos will overflow the stock ic, right?
also not mentioned on the mods list was an external wg which is strongly recommended for the 20g and bigger
also a 16g would allow him to not upgrade his fuel system (right away)
16g's have run 11's and i doubt he wants to go further than that
just my oppinion im probly wrong

Originally posted by danthman3
what about a big 16g?
without a bigger ic the bigger turbos will overflow the stock ic, right?
also not mentioned on the mods list was an external wg which is strongly recommended for the 20g and bigger
also a 16g would allow him to not upgrade his fuel system (right away)
16g's have run 11's and i doubt he wants to go further than that
just my oppinion im probly wrong
You can get a FP green with an internal wg. External would be best though, but the option is there if needed.

Is it just me, or is "streetability" all based on personal preference? I believe my 60-1 with full boost by 4500 (30#'s) is very streetable. Personally I think you should lay out your definition of streetable and then base your decision on that. It seems you have no idea what you want. You go from a T28 to a 60trim. I think my 60-1+TD06H is/was great for the street, and I found 430+WHP on pump gas very streetable to. So if low end torque is more important to you then say top end, maybe you should stick in the 16G/T28 area. If you want the party to start later on and carry through up to 8000 rpm look at a 60-1 or smaller 60trim. Its all about what you want your car to be.

If I were you, I would go with a large turbo, its better on fuel (if you have dual stage injection) and puts a smile on your face when the power hits. There is nothing like doing a power slide in second with four drag radials on your car! :)

i personally don't negate the concept of a big turbo
but i think people have taken this post to say whats the best turbo
my definition of streetable(with respect to car in question) is a turbo that would not require more modifications than the poster mentioned and maximize the setup he wants to run
i don't have an extensve knowledge of the fp or l1r turbos but i would think in terms of a mitsu turbo a 20g would be the biggest i would recommend for his set up/goals and i would only say that if he really wanted to drag race
the restrictions of the stock ic, no mention of a clutch, and no xternal wg would not be overcome with a bigger turbo especially since the fuel system is not at that level
my re-recomendation (since i read up on the FP green and a few t28s) would be to first get a clutch then a t28, 16g, of even an FP green then do sum ic upgrading(piping or fmic) and port work
(if you want more performance that that you'll need a clutch, ic upgrading, an external wg, and some injectors at lest b4 goin to a bigger turbo)

damn...thanks for all the replys. Yeh I think the 12.5 range is enough for me right now. I know I will need injectors eventually but can't yet planned 550cc, also planning sometype of FMIC but that wont come for a while. What kind of times have the Big t28, big 16g, and the FP green put out...and what kind of whp? After a turbo my next plan is a clutch probably ACT 2600. Now some of you "vent" your 02 housing or something like that can somebody explain that to me...I saw the long post on it but I don't really understand internal/external wastegate...where the wastegate is on internals vs. externals...I've seen pics of externals and they look like just a big BOV connected to the Exhaust Mani. Is that basically what it is? Streetablity now is something I could bolt on without any or very little modifications, turn up the boost a little and feel a good difference. I saw a deal somewhere on a big 16g killer...thats what it said no it wasn't t28 it was 16g and I haven't heard of that before...but it was ball-bearing or something and cost like 800 after you traded in your turbo. what do you guys know about this? Thanx again for the help

never mind its to dump or not to dump

"Streetable" and "high power" are both relative terms. Each person is going to have a different idea on how to define those. This question is really unanswerable. You have to do research about how the turbos actually perform and decide whether they perform acceptably to you. What I think is acceptable may be very different from what you think.

In my opinion anything you dare use on the street is "streetable". If Dave Buschur drove his 7 second Talon around town then it would be defined as "streetable" to me.

Do research.

Good luck.

Originally posted by BatmanGSX
If Dave Buschur drove his 7 second Talon around town then it would be defined as "streetable" to me.

God that would make a badass video... have his talon sitting at a redlight........ Civic on one side, and supra on the other.... civic revs... Supra laughs at all the custom "fiberglass" work on the Talon...
Light goes green and..... wait, where's the talon -- ohhhh, it's already at the next light waiting for the other 2 cars ;)

Streetable to me... is reliable power, creature comfort, no back halved or tubbed out rear end. I also think you should be able to drive the car state to state comfortably, without any problems, without going deaf from a loud idle. Hell... anybody can take anything out on the road and call it streetable. I guess if John Force took his funny car out on the public streets it would then be called streetable LOL. I don't think so! For each his own I guess. Any car that is legal by state law, and can be driven out on the streets is a streetable car. IMHO.

Originally posted by SPEEDY
Streetable to me... is reliable power, creature comfort, no back halved or tubbed out rear end. I also think you should be able to drive the car state to state comfortably, without any problems, without going deaf from a loud idle. Hell... anybody can take anything out on the road and call it streetable. I guess if John Force took his funny car out on the public streets it would then be called streetable LOL. I don't think so! For each his own I guess. Any car that is legal by state law, and can be driven out on the streets is a streetable car. IMHO. [/QUOTE

By that definition.... I'd have to say 80% of the 12 sec and faster DSMs are not truely streetable.

God knows my car isn't legal by state law:
-No Cat
-No Emissions Equip
-External Wastegate
-Removed OBD-2 System

List goes on...

For mid 12's a small 16G will be more than enough.

Originally posted by Black95GSX
Streetable to me... is reliable power, creature comfort, no back halved or tubbed out rear end. I also think you should be able to drive the car state to state comfortably, without any problems, without going deaf from a loud idle. Hell... anybody can take anything out on the road and call it streetable. I guess if John Force took his funny car out on the public streets it would then be called streetable LOL. I don't think so! For each his own I guess. Any car that is legal by state law, and can be driven out on the streets is a streetable car. IMHO. [/QUOTE

By that definition.... I'd have to say 80% of the 12 sec and faster DSMs are not truely streetable.

God knows my car isn't legal by state law:
-No Cat
-No Emissions Equip
-External Wastegate
-Removed OBD-2 System

List goes on...
Yeah... I agree with you. I'm not legal either, even though I posted what I posted LOL. I think in reality it would depend on how much lag someone would be able to tolerate on the streets.

Yeah... I agree with you. I'm not legal either, even though I posted what I posted LOL. I think in reality it would depend on how much lag someone would be able to tolerate on the streets.

Exactly... I don't hit boost till 4000rpm.... and that's fine by me.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back