The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Street Racing, Eh?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremoose

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
Well, I just thought I'd prove all you nay-sayers wrong about street racing ALWAYS being dangerous. I have a buddy who lives a little ways out of town, his parents are HUGE into crop dusting and farming and such. So, out in the middle of their land, they have this HUGE airstrip; and every couple weekends or so, like 30 or 40 peeps (***EDIT*** this is a huge exaggeration, its more like 15 or 16 OMG ) show up there to go ripping around, its great times!! :thumb: I guess it's not really street racing, but, thought I'd share anyways (seemed like a good idea at the time, LOL) But, yeah, I'll get some pics in the summer, anywho, lata!

P.S. I know, SUPER pointless thread..

Jeremoose said:
Well, I just thought I'd prove all you nay-sayers wrong about street racing ALWAYS being dangerous. I have a buddy who lives a little ways out of town, his parents are HUGE into crop dusting and farming and such. So, out in the middle of their land, they have this HUGE airstrip; and every couple weekends or so, like 30 or 40 peeps show up there to go ripping around, its great times!! :thumb: I guess it's not really street racing, but, thought I'd share anyways (seemed like a good idea at the time, LOL) But, yeah, I'll get some pics in the summer, anywho, lata!

P.S. I know, SUPER pointless thread..

Nope, still dangerous.

Wait till someone blows a tire, hits the other car, or someone runs into the crowd, and someone dies. Then this kids parets will be sued for letting kids race on the strip.

I crop dust all the time at like Walmart & stuff...it's pretty funny looking back & seeing the look of disgust on a bunch of people's faces when they smell it......especially when you do it next to a bunch of little kids & they're all in a line & heads are at your ass's level................this is the kind of crop dusting you're talking about, right??

MyEclipse5 said:
Nope, still dangerous.

Wait till someone blows a tire, hits the other car, or someone runs into the crowd, and someone dies. Then this kids parets will be sued for letting kids race on the strip.

I suppose nobody can ever blow a tire on a real drag strip and hit the other car either huh :rolleyes:

All you people who think street racing is dangerous and shun on people who talk about it act like you're freakin perfect. Yes, it CAN BE dangerous, but not in all situations. Geesh people.

You people are related to PITA members and all the idiots not to tell you to eat stupid foods because it could cause a diseast 30 years from now so you live off rice or something.

Whoa, lots of hits fast on this one!! Just let me clarify, I'm not condoning street racing. There's not a strip for about 3 hours around here, and as far as I can see, this is probably one of the safest alternatives. Also, there's no crowd along the track, just field. Everyone is with there cars at the start of the track.

uhm.... that's not street racing at all.... that's in a closed controlled environment....

a_scobel said:
I crop dust all the time at like Walmart & stuff...it's pretty funny looking back & seeing the look of disgust on a bunch of people's faces when they smell it......especially when you do it next to a bunch of little kids & they're all in a line & heads are at your ass's level................this is the kind of crop dusting you're talking about, right??

hahaha i do the same thing, its even better when you make other people think someone did it, like two days ago, in home depot, old lady bends down while im walking by, i make fart noise, now everyone looks at hr like she did it hahaha

I think that MyEclipse5 is just saying that at a drag strip, in the unfortunate event of an accident, they are (the drag strip) insured and covered. They are also set up for these sorts of things, such as the concrete walls and sand piles at the end of the track. They have EMTs on site to provide medical attention quickly. What will happen if someone gets hurt and needs quick attention and the nearest hospital is an hour away? Many people have used air strips as race tracks it's just that any real event will have emergency personell on site.
While it is always to a good thing to see people take it off the streets, this in particular is still not as safe an alternative as going to an actual track. The problem will come one day when someone gets hurt. In our great nation in which we can sue for just about anything, the injured party will be eager to point the finger at anyone or any thing. People aren't required to have any common sense in the eyes of our legal system. If someone gets hurt on your property no matter how stupid they were acting, you will be held liable. It's the classic case of someome falling on your sidewalk because it was icy. Technically it's the owners fault that the person got hurt on their property. It's not the "victims" responsibility to be cautious. This kid's parents will be held liable and will be in a world of hurt if something does happen.
No one is flaming here or trying to down someone's idea. Rather they are just pointing out the possible problems that may arise with participating in such activities. Having a few friends participate is much different then having a few friends plus 30 people there.
Whatever happens, get some pictures up :thumb:

darkness_fallz said:
uhm.... that's not street racing at all.... that's in a closed controlled environment....

a controlled environment would be barriors on each lane side, there would be fencing and stangs for people to watch and not die...

.. thats why there are those fun little places called drag strips.

Yeah, I definitely see the downsides guys, but I'd rather do it there than on the streets. And, I'd also like doing it there better than driving 3 or 4 hours to the nearest track. As far as pics go, however, by the looks of things it doesn't look like it'll be spring for awhile :( BTW, 30 or 40 may have been an exaggeration ;) , it's more like 15 or 16 (on a good night); all family and friends.

sexehtopper said:
a controlled environment would be barriors on each lane side, there would be fencing and stangs for people to watch and not die...

.. thats why there are those fun little places called drag strips.

Hm but when the nearest drag strip is 4 hours away.....yea..that sucks :| Especially when they're closing more & more drag strips all the time.........

Yeah, the nearest strip is so freakin' far away, and I don't know why!!! I honestly think that if somebody built a strip on or around my hometown, people would FLOCK to it; it would make a killing. But, since I'm not gonna' have the cash to start a drag strip anytime soon, I can probably forget that idea :mad:

Some of you guys really think this is dangerous?

Do you wear helmets, goggles, and a bear suit while mowing the yard?

It seems like the term "street racing" is now being treated how "drunk driving" is. People get all filled up w/ the hype and emotion they overblow minor situations. Drinking 2 beers at a resturant and driving away 40 minutes later has been proven to have no effect on your driving ability and is not dangerous. However, many people have been hearing how bad it is for so long they think the car will just drive itself off the road and blow up into flames if you touch a drink and drive. This is in the same boat. Racing on a large street w/ no traffic or a closed strip is safer then you taking an on-ramp onto a highway and hitting it up to 80. Theres always a "what if" but what in life isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back