The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

street bikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94TalonEs

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 4, 2003
Syracuse, New_York
Anyone here have a crotch rocket? I'm looking for one now, just want to see what people have and how they like it. I looked at 2 different Yamaha R6's today at a dealership; a 2002 and a 2003. Can't afford either, need something a little older, like a 98 or newer. I'm going to check out some GSXR's tomorrow, and some others at another bike shop.
I needsome input... what would be a nice 1st bike? Something easy to ride, comfortable, and afordable.
Jay

i'm thinkin about gettin one too, and i have the same question as you. let us know guys. :thumb:

i have two of my friends that just got bikes ..both of them there first bikes. One is a 2000 GSX-R 600 , and the second is a Yamaha Seca. The seca is a good first bike and you can easily handle it .The GSX-R is a bigger bike and you feel the power when you rip the gas on it. I've been riding dirtbikes for a while and am planning to get my permit this week and getting a bike in the next two i think that im either going to get a a honda CBR or a GSX-R. For first bikes that are cheap look a 500r ninjas too you can pick them up a 2000-2001 for about $2000

If your leaning towards yamaha then your three good choices for sportbikes are the R1 (which no beginner should have), R6, or yzf600.

I'm looking towards buying an r6 or 600 in a month or two. The insurance is hella cheap.

A guy I work with just got a 2002 R6 and he never even sat on a bike. He's doing allright riding around with me so don't let people tell you to get a weak ass ninja 250 or something. Think to the future, how easy is it to sell a ghey bike that knowone wants compared to a 600. I say go with a 600 or something

I used to have an FZR600 that was a great city bike and very nimble. It was plenty fast but I wanted more after getting used to it. So, I got it Pipped and jetted and that made a huge difference in the powerband. I would recommend an R6 or YZF600. From what I remember the GSXR 600's were weaker compared to the other 600's. The ZX6 was the most powerful. This was from the late 90's though so it could be different. Check out Cylceworld for more compairsons.

for bang for the buck, you can't beat a gixxer....if you are looking to get a new bike, i heard someone mention the sv650s.....that is a GREAT starter bike, it holds resale very well, and also has that v-twin thumper sound. If you want a 4cyl bike and you havent ridden a motorcycle much, I strongly recommend you stay away from a literbike, or even a modern 600....the first time you panic and twist open that throttle, its wheelie city, and if you cant control that wheelie, you will be eating pavement....you might want to look into an older 600....a gsx-r or a fzr600 or even a cbr600f2......they still have plenty of go power(like 85 hp) and wont set you back too much money. the big benefit of an older bike is, if you decide that you dont feel all that safe on 2 wheels, you can turn around and sell it for the same as you got it for......just a few things to think of :thumb: by the way......i have a 00f4i...and i started on a ninja 250.

Well my roommate and I have been looking at bikes. Neither of us have ridden street bikes, just dirt bikes so I'm a little iffy. She's looking at a gixxer 750......I think it's to big. I'm leaning towards the cbr600. Which this is all just shopping at the moment since I'm broke, but looking now will only educate me. And, not to sound small and whiney, but I am a girl and am not sure what I can handle weight wise. Isn't the gixxer 750 and the cbr600 about the same in weight?

Kristin

anything over a 600 is too much for pretty much everyone. start off on a 250 or 500 ninja, and get it used, cause I bet you 20 bucks you will drop it within the first couple of months

Originally posted by Nappy94
Check out these bike's, YZF600, FZR600, Katana and the EX500. If you are set on buying a new bike, check out the SV650's.

I HAVE A 2002 SV650S IT IS A GOOD BIKE
BUT I WANT AN OLDER 94-98 NINJA 600,700,900,
NOT SOMETHING WITH TO MUCH POWER OR TO LITTLE
IT DIDNT TAKE ME LONG TO FIGURE OUT THE BIKE AND I WAS DOING TRICKS IN NO TIME
THE SUZUKI SVS IS WAY SMOOTHER THAN OLDER BIKES BUT IF I WERE YOU GUYS I WOULD GO WITH AN OLDER NINJA
GOOD LUCK:thumb:

The Yamaha R6 is a nice bike, but also check out the CBR600.. i love the looks of those things..

im looking to get a GSX-R600 when i get back to the states.. but i gotta buy my wife her WRX first..... about a week after that i'll get my bike...

Im leanin towards the suzuki 650, i like the katanas looks but gawdamn that thing is heavy.

I just started riding a few months ago. I learned on my buddies 1999 GSXR 600 and that bike was extremly uncomfortable. I have recently purchased a 2000 Honda F4 and I love it. It has plenty of power (but not too much and it isn't wheelie prone but will if you want it to). My f4 is very comfortable. I was on a 5 hour ride last weekend and I was just fine. The 600 is probably the largest you would want to start off on. Anyone who starts on a liter is just crazy.

You can see my car behind the bike too =D

Attachments

• bikeside-s.jpg
    bikeside-s.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 170
Ended up going with a gixxer. I picked it up friday. Shes a 2003 GSXR600. I saw it and fell in love!!!!! Plenty of power, very comfortable and nimble! I love it! Too bad its rained every time I have rode:mad: But, I'm good at riding in the rain now! It gets LOTS of attention, anywhere I go! All my buddies are jealous because they like my bike better than theirs (I love it!!!!!). I was at a car show today, when I went to leave, there was a bigger crowd in the parking lot around my bike than there was around 90% of the cars in the show:cool: I just took some pictures, I'll try to post 'em tomorrow after the car show.

shes sexy:p
Jay

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back