The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Strange starting problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i'm boosted

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Hi All,

I have a strange problem. I was coming home from work a few nights ago and pulled in to the driveway and turned the car off. I have a Greddy turbo timer that actually shut the car down. I come out the next morning and the car would not start. It acts like it want to start, but just can't stay running. First thing I check was the timing belt. It's snug. Then I checked compression. 150 across the board. Two weeks before this problem I installed a walbro 255 fuel pump and magnacore wires. I put my stock wires and fuel pump back on...same result. I checked for spark and it was very weak and at times there was no spark coming from the plugs at all. So I replaced the coil pack and the power tr with the same result. I was reading some past post last night and one of the members suggested to someone to unplug the MAS and see if it will start. I ran out side and tried that and the car fired up. But when i gave it gas it stalled. Turned the key and the car continued to start up. So I decided today to buy a new MAS. Before going to the auto parts store, I decided to start it again and the car would not start with the MAS unplugged or plugged up. I was like WTF!!!! So I did not buy the MAS figured it was a fluke. Later in the evening I came out side to start it, the MAS was un-plugged...same result. But after a couple a attempts the car started and idled perfectly. This time I let the car warm up first before pressing the accelerator...the car did not stall this time. I plugged the MAS back and the would not start. So the MAS must be bad, but is there another problem since I had to let the car completely warm up before I was able to press the gas pedal without the car stalling. I know this is long but I wanted to put everything out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have not tried to start it w/o the MAS plugged in, but I am having a strange starting problem also. How long do you try to turn your car over before giving up? Have you checked your TPS and temp sensor? My car turns over w/o catching for awhile before it tries to start and then stops...if I keep trying eventually it will start and die, start and die, and then it will start and I have to give it gas, but sometimes the gas makes it die...eventually though...if I am persistant...it runs alright and I can drive it normal. When I took it to my mechanic he suggested replacing the TPS. I might not have the same problemas you, but in trying to figure it out I read about the temp sensor in my Chilton guide. There is more than one, I can't remember the word that goes before temp...anyway, you might look into something like that. It sets the default temp of your engine to a certain degrees and if it really isn't that temperature outside, you have to warm your car up before it works correctly.
Probably doesn't help at all...
-Carol

I replaced my MAS with the same result. My problem is exactly like yours. I had to crank it for like 10mins and then it will fires up then dies. Give it gas and it acts like it wants to die out quicker. I will check the temp sensor. I think it's called the coolant temp sensor. Thanks

Brian

I pulled the ECU out this morning, and the board is clean on both sides. no sign of cap leakage. If I can track down a good ECU for cheap I will give it a try too. Thanks.

I replaced the coolant temp sensor, i am in the same boat. The only thing left is the CAS, and the ECU. My ECU does not have a smell and the caps are not leaking. I am in the process of tracking down a known good ECU that I can swap in. If anyone knows of anything else I can try I am all ears.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back