The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

strange noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasteclispe

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 12, 2004
queens, New_York
ok. hi i have a 1997 eclipse non turbo and when i pull off fast and hit the high rpm's i hear a sqeeking noise. anyone know what the problem can be?

LOL thats all i know so i cant give anymore detale except it comes from under the hood.

Usual culprit is the belt that drives the power steering pump, tighten it a little & see what happens. Yes, this belt needs to be really tight & prolly won't break, but even if it does, PS is not mission critical-no harm done.

mitsutuner said:
Usual culprit is the belt that drives the power steering pump, tighten it a little & see what happens. Yes, this belt needs to be really tight & prolly won't break, but even if it does, PS is not mission critical-no harm done.

do u have a vfaq or something showing where this belt is?...ty for the reply

EZ to find, it's the first belt you come to after you pop the hood, just to the right of the dipstick where you check the engine oil level. It's the belt on the top, lower one is alt. belt.
To adjust it, first you have to loosen it's mounting bolts, which are the 2 12mm bolts behind the pulley, might have to rotate the pulley a little to get your socket on the bolts.
Next, pry a large screwdriver between it & the engine mounting bracket & pry the pump towards the front of the car & hold it very tight as you tighten the mounting bolts. The belt has to be very tight to eliminate squeals.
Go ahead & take a very close look at all your belts & decide when they should be replaced with new ones, maybe today. While the PS belt is not mission critical, if the alt. belt breaks then you will only be able to run the car on your battery power, which should last 5-15 min.

ty for the help im going to try that ass soon as i have some free time. ill let ya know the result

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back