The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Strange noise, need help diagnosing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onefast2gdsm

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2010
millersburg, Pennsylvania
ok i bought my 97 gst a few months back, and did the necessary maintenance. the car ran fine befroe doing the timing belt, no odd noises or out of the ordinary stuff EXCEPT it was idling like it was stuttering. So, being that i work at a parts store (carquest) i decided to go all out and replace everything i could think of. balance shaft belt, plugs (put NGK v-powers in), pulleys, wires, front motor mount, cleaned my k&n fipk, cam seals (they were leaking), valve cover gasket, water pump belt, and finally, the timing belt.

When i turned the crank to check the timing, i found it was two teeth off. I was drving like this for awhile being i didnt have time and i was in need of transportation. So long story short, i put everything together and now i have a strange sound coming from what seems like the balance shaft area. I say that because i cant pinpoint where its coming from, i checked all pulleys and the water pump and power steering pump. And last week, i started my car and it sounded like a loud banging for less than a minute, then i pop the hood and now it seems i have lifter tick and this other noise that ive been trying to diagnose. i will post a sound clip when i have a chance. Any ideas? theorys? tips? Help me out, please!

also, i notice it when it idles, i cant really notice it when driving, because of my exhaust and intake, it overtakes any noise, as anyone with a 3 inch exhaust knows.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQfvakX81pU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQfvakX81pU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

video added...what are these two different noises...especialy the one underneath...

what i heard was like a whistling?

if thats so i had that problem with my dsm and it turned out being one of the IC pipes was a bit loosen.

No its not a whistling noise, if you listen real carefully when I put the phone under the car, it sounds like a tapping noise but a deep tone.it soinds like rod knock but I'm praying it isn't. Car drives fine, it's not lacking in power, just pushed it to 110mph and I'm not blowing smoke and the sound doesn't seem to get any worse.

I cant hear anything really that abnormal from the video...... maybe you should try and video it again at first of the morning start up, or when the noise is a little louder.

I cant hear anything really that abnormal from the video...... maybe you should try and video it again at first of the morning start up, or when the noise is a little louder.

Yea I'm gonna try to get a better sound clip. Anyone know of a video of a timing tensioner noise, preferably it slapping the tensioner arm, that's what I think it is

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Check the plate on your crank pulley that triggers the crank position sensor. If it gets slightly tweeked it will tap the crank position sensor until i ruins the sensor and then it wont start. Been there done that on the wifes 95 sounded just about like yours.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back