The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Strange no power issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highlandgst

10+ Year Contributor
May 11, 2009
miller, Indiana
Ok so here it goes I've gone through just about everything . At first my car would start if i jumped it but it would barely run and if i turned the brights on it would bog down the power like the battery was draining and the alt was not working. So I went through every step with that ( taking the alt in checking fuses and so on . )
A day later I came to find out my hot cables that go from the fuse box to the battery were melted . So i replaced those ,now I get NO POWER what so ever no dome lights no door ding do keyless unlocking . NOTHING . I tryig the fuses , all good , the wireing was go the rest of my wires in the fuse box are not melted .I pulled my ECU and it does no have any burnt chips or diodes does not smell of burning circuits either. There are no frayed or broken lines anywhere within sight and just short of pulling the entire harness I've checked as much as I can . Is it possible that the ECU could just have gone bad without frying anything ?

what size alt fuse do you have? if its not blowing but the wire melted. I would check to make sure the fuse isn't really big and not blowing when theres a short in the alt. line. I only say that because awhile back I was blowing my alt fuse it was a 80 amp and my alt power wire was touching my front mount piping and arcing out.

well my alt wires arent touching anything I check those when i removed everything . The fuses are intact . The only fuse I consistantly have blown and that being ( 3 times tops ) has been my Motor fuse Not quite sure what to look into from there if that helps at all . The alt works fine it passed all bench tests and what not so its not that . I am getting no power to my care even with a FULL battery I mean brand new . I don't even get dome lights to come on or anything . I'm thinking it has to be the hot wire to either my motor or something with the ECU.

Get your alternator tested and test your battery as well while you are at it. Post results.

Edit:
When and where did you get it tested? I've had bad alternators pass all the tests but when it warms up it failed causing the voltage regulator to not work. A new one fixed the issue.

Check your battery and replace your alternator. When i first got my talon running, we.forgot to put the radiator cap. I know stupid right but we were that excited. Took it for a run and all my coolant sprayed to my battery. My car flickered and died. Tried turning it on and not even my lights turned on. Turns out i short circuited my battery.

ok battery is brand new so thats good . I went to autozone to check my alt . I could see the battery not charging back up if the alt was dead . But a FULLY charged battery is in my car right now and if i open the door the dome light wont come on the ignition wont light up i put the key in and turn it and no lights no nothing my key fob doesn't unlock my doors ,nothing what so ever electrical works i cant start the car or anything so I imagine having a bad alt wouldn't inhibit me from atleast running straight off a brand new battery. BTW had the alt tested not but 2 days ago and i just put it back in yesterday so nothings been moved except when i rewired my hot cables from the fuse box . I took the ecu out and looked it over it seemed 100 percent , not burnt caps or anything that i noticed I'll snap some pics tomorrow after work

Check your rewire looks like something shorted out. Also your ecu might be fried. Trying borrowing someones ecu and see if that works.

Can't get my hands on an ecu at the moment but wouldn't I have noticed something wrong with mine? I pulled it out and opened it up and looked it over no burnt caps nothing not even a bad smell

yea and no, working in a area where I see circuit boards regularly sometimes, they will be visibly damaged other times it will look like a new board but one of the chips popped. I hate to say ecu but that's what it sounds like, I am trying to figure out how your power wire melted itself though. I would try to figure out that issue before you change the ecu if that's what it ends up being. because if you don't fix the original problem you will just have two bad ecu's in the end. I would say measure that battery when its in the car, see if somethings on pulling the voltage out of the battery right away.

Well its not the battery that was in it when the wires melted so i can rule that out ill try to find an ECU

How did you check your fuses? Just by looking at them?

that was kind of where I was leaning, that and if your motor fuse keeps blowing you might try to do a search on what could cause the motor fuse to keep blowing.

I think this thread right here might get you to the problem, alot of potential answer here.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/165565-engine-fuse-keeps-blowing.html

also if your not already in the group, you might join Indiana dsm on facebook. There are alot of ppl in there from around the state that could also help.

I'm going to lookin into swapping an ecu with a buddy then if that doesn't do it im going to get my hands on a multimeter and start over

I took them out and inspected them to make sure nothing the cracked and the filiments were not loose or broken in any way

Visual checks doesn't necessarily mean you're fuses are working, get a multimeter and refer to repair manual. You wouldn't want to fry you're friends ecu.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back