The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Strange Head gasket problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beansblacktsi

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 2, 2007
Lincoln, Nebraska
So lately I have been having a problem with my head gasket I believe. Its a stock felpro with arps. The head was not resurfaced when put together but I did put a straight edge to it and seemed good! The problem Im having is I'm losing coolant, not much but it is losing some. I have no visible signs of a blown head gasket, no smoke, smell and I checked compression and its 170 across the board. When I first noticed it, it was pushing some coolant so I re-torqued the head studs and that stopped that but I'm still losing coolant. The only thing Ive noticed is when the motor is cold from sitting all night, you fire it up and there is a lot of condensation out of the exhaust a good sized puddle but as soon as its warmed up that stops. I just cant seem to figure out why its doing this. Any help is appreciated!!

Check your oil for any coolant; you are looking for a chocolate milk color. This will be a sure sign of a blown headgasket.

You say you were "pushing" coolant, I assume burning it? Once a headgasket is blown, retorqing the headstuds probably will not completely fix that problem. Once the gasket is unseated, it is common for it to remain unseated.

Are you sure you dont have any other leaks? stock radiator? check that, the inside of the lip on these crack all the time and you can have a tiny tiny tiny leak.
The car does not leak any coolant at all.
Check your oil for any coolant; you are looking for a chocolate milk color. This will be a sure sign of a blown headgasket.

You say you were "pushing" coolant, I assume burning it? Once a headgasket is blown, retorqing the headstuds probably will not completely fix that problem. Once the gasket is unseated, it is common for it to remain unseated.
When I said pushing coolant I meant pushing it in the overflow tank. The coolant is not mixed with any oil and the oil is not mixed with coolant. The car still has perfect compression in every cylinder.

okay? LOL you said you were losing coolant.

Not quite sure what this means, or to whom it is directed towards.

A bad radiator cap would fail to pressurize the cooling system allowing the coolant to become less resistant to boiling. In this case the coolant will evaporate, and possibly overflow from, well, the overflow bottle.

Make sure coolant and overflow are filled ... drive car hard pull over look at coolant bottle is it boiling overflowing , you have a blown headgasket ,, never heard of re-torquing working.. good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back