The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Strange check engine light

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrocket59

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 8, 2011
Rockaway, New_Jersey
After getting off the highway my car started to make a chattering noise, and the check engine light would come on once the car got above 4k rpms. I tried pulling the code using my laptop via dsmlink but the ecu is not saving the code. I dont really notice too much of a difference in performance but the car is definitely lagging a little. Any ideas?

No, you need to find out what is causing the light and the noise. If it is the knock sensor you should look at it and see if all the filler 'goo' is still in the back of it. If the car is making a noise then figure if you are running lean or if it is in the rotating assembly.

No, you need to find out what is causing the light and the noise. If it is the knock sensor you should look at it and see if all the filler 'goo' is still in the back of it. If the car is making a noise then figure if you are running lean or if it is in the rotating assembly.

Where is the knock sensor? I have an exhaust leak so Im definetly running lean. What do you mean by "or if it is in the rotatimg asambly?"

Ok so I was just on my way back from work and the car ran like absolte garbage, sounded like an STI and I was getting a hard code. My laptops dead at the moment but when its charged ill post the code

Where is the knock sensor? I have an exhaust leak so Im definetly running lean. What do you mean by "or if it is in the rotatimg asambly?"

Ok so I was just on my way back from work and the car ran like absolte garbage, sounded like an STI and I was getting a hard code. My laptops dead at the moment but when its charged ill post the code

If you give me a code (s) I might be able to help you out

Have you tried troubleshooting this method with a live data scan-tool ? It would help a lot if you record the live data while this is occurring, safely. We have plenty of tools on our website ( innova.com ) which have the live-data feature, which also will graph all the recording parameters. This would allow you to display changes by reviewing the graph by individual parameters.

Best luck on getting this fixed !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back