The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Strange 2G GSX Oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM-Hottie

10+ Year Contributor
May 20, 2009
Tigard, Oregon
Hey guys so I just got my GSX back from getting a built trans.
Well the other night she popped a coolant line, fixed that went to drive home and she started to heat up again so we pulled over and popped that hood and there was oil sprayed all over my trans, hood and firewall. We have torn her apart and filled her up with oil and started her and no leaks have been found, I will post pics, but I need ideas as to what it could be. Its not the rear main Jeff checked that out before he put the new trans back in. I will post the pics I have of the leak.
All the oil is on the trans and under the turbo, she lost 2.5 quarts in a 1/4mi
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Please help me :confused:

Judging from your fourth and fifth pic you've got a line on your valve cover that isnt connected. It should be going down to your intake pipe, thats the only thing I could spot.. And for God sake, recirc your BOV.. Bet you're having some stalling issues when coming to a stop too!?

Judging from your fourth and fifth pic you've got a line on your valve cover that isnt connected. It should be going down to your intake pipe.. And for God sake, recirc your BOV.. Bet you're having some stalling issues when coming to a stop too!?

The line was connected prior to this, and she doesn't have any stalling problems. (I've told her a thousand times to recirc it as well.)

I looked at the car and I can't find where it's leaking from. We put it all back together, filled it up and started it, and couldn't see where it's coming from. Nothing is loose, nothing is cracked (from what I could find).

But there is quite a bit of oil on the bellhousing and some got up on the hood.

I cant really tell but are you feeding your turbo's oil from the head? You might want to check that line again because some of that oil did some pretty good traveling if it was any lower then that line. Maybe the bolts loose even?

Im debating pulling the turbo off or not, and yes her turbo is fed from the head, cleaned that line up last night before we let her run and no new leakage, but I might just get all new lines and go from there, my CAS was loose, BF tightened it up for me and also my OFH is loose as well but neither one of those would cause that kind of spray.

Pressure wash it and give it a very short drive, just enough to get the oil coming out, so hopefully you can narrow it down.

From the spatter marks on the lower rad hose it almost looks like it could be pissing out from the head gasket.

Hey Jason,
The oil is only coming out on the passenger side and there is no coolant/oil mixture going on.

It could still be the head gasket, mixing of the 2 doesn't always happen.

There's not much else on that side to leak oil, you have the feed line, the CAS, the valve cover, the half moon cam cap and the head gasket. The main seal could leak too but it's inside the bell housing and shouldn't be all over the place like that. If it's non of those it could be a crack somewhere.

These problems are always hard to identify because when you drive the oil literally just gets blown around everywhere and it makes it near-impossible to locate the origin of the problem. I would take the advice of cleaning it VIA pressure washer, or even a brake parts cleaner to remove most of the outstanding oil. Then again start the car of a clean spot and watch to see if you can see anything. If nothing shows up.. Do a very short drive and come back and check untill you find a source.

From the looks, the Oil seems to be the heaviest under the engine and near tranny. I once had a slight leak from my Oil return line at the oil pan and it produced the same time of mess.

Goodluck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back