The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Straighten Bent IC/Radiator fins

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So after experimenting with a few different methods, I've come up with the best method to straighten even the worst of bent fins. I am doing this on a radiator but the concept is the same for an intercooler. It involves a small screwdriver and a pain if thin flat nosed tweezers pictured here (the screwdriver or similar tool will also be referred to as a "puller"):
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To select the right size screw driver, or other tool with same shape, you want to be able to insert the tool into the small side of the fin and be the same size, as shown:

Now that you have selected the correct tool, its on to the technique. Insert the "puller" (screwdriver) into the wide side of the fin and with it straight up and down, pull toward the small end of the fin. When you get to the small end, tilt the puller over and pull it out to move the end of the fin out as far as possible without ripping it. If your fins are really horrible like mine were, you should pick at the small bent end of the fin to get it to come up before straightening it with the puller. Otherwise you will just be smashing the fin into itself. I suggest doing this in columns. Do one column of the puller tool and follow up with the tweezers. Then move on to the next column. The technique for the tweezers is to grab onto the fin and squeeze gently and pull straight up with a slight twist to put the correct angle of the zig zag back on the fin. You with find a way that works best for you after a couple minutes of doing it. It takes quite a while. Its not hard just don't rush it. Here's my before and after in on small spot:

Click on it^

Any questions comments or anything feel free to PM me thanks :)
:talon::dsm::laser:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back