The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Stock Turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse Quiroz

Probationary Member
Dec 31, 2019
Selah, Washington
So this one guy I'm buying off the gst claims it has a bigger turbo but doesnt know what brand i need help if it is in fact a bigger turbo?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It might make power but knock-off turbos are not reliable and I wouldn't want one on my car. If it's somehow a genuine Garrett unit I would keep it, or if it's indeed a knock-off, you could replace it with a Garrett 50 trim if you want to keep the bigger turbo and make it reliable (assuming the rest of the setup is good).

It might make power but knock-off turbos are not reliable and I wouldn't want one on my car. If it's somehow a genuine Garrett unit I would keep it, or if it's indeed a knock-off, you could replace it with a Garrett 50 trim if you want to keep the bigger turbo and make it reliable (assuming the rest of the setup is good).
Okay thanks and regarding the set up everything is stock(I believe so) except for that knockoff turbo

I can already see a problem where, if left unchanged, might cause premature turbo wear and failure. It appears to have some sort of 90 degree fitting for the oil return which is already at an angle. Then the oil return hose makes a sharp turn going down into the oil pan. The whole thing forms an "S", you can see it clearly. That's definitely not the optimal way for the oil return. Depending on pressure and oil volume supply, it could make the oil not flow down and evacuate the CHRA quick enough, thus leading to overfilling of the CHRA with oil, affecting the operation of it and bearing life.

I can already see a problem where, if left unchanged, might cause premature turbo wear and failure. It appears to have some sort of 90 degree fitting for the oil return which is already at an angle. Then the oil return hose makes a sharp turn going down into the oil pan. The whole thing forms an "S", you can see it clearly. That's definitely not the optimal way for the oil return. Depending on pressure and oil volume supply, it could make the oil not flow down and evacuate the CHRA quick enough, thus leading to overfilling of the CHRA with oil, affecting the operation of it and bearing life.
Ok so I haven't bought that car(Btw I'm new to dsm) he said it doesnt turn cause of the crank or cause some pistons or you think its cause what you said about the turbo?

Ok so I haven't bought that car(Btw I'm new to dsm) he said it doesnt turn cause of the crank or cause some pistons or you think its cause what you said about the turbo?

I was just bringing that up as a point to consider. Even if the turbo was already seized up or something, it wouldn't affect the engine not wanting to crank over.

If the owner said the crank or pistons are not allowing the engine to turn over, it might mean one of those are seized. Or it could be many other reasons such as a bad starter, bad battery and so on.

By the sound of it, though, this car might be hiding major issues. I'm not gonna say "stay away from it 100%", but maybe read up on what to look for when buying a DSM and go back to it to give it a better look over, maybe try making it turn over and start it with the owner if he wants.

What is he asking for it? Even if the engine is completely shot, if the chassis is in good shape and minimal rust, I would say around $1k would be reasonable? Then again you're in Washington state, I'm sure you guys get lots of salt during the winter... Many things to consider! But definitely find out why the engine ain't cranking if you decide to buy it!

Have you checked the timing belt? Make sure it didn't snap? Just slip the top timing belt cover (3 10 mm bolts are holding it on... 2 on top and one in the back) and inspect the belt by visual inspection and/or try putting some pressure on it to see if it gives way.
Just my two cents.

I was just bringing that up as a point to consider. Even if the turbo was already seized up or something, it wouldn't affect the engine not wanting to crank over.

If the owner said the crank or pistons are not allowing the engine to turn over, it might mean one of those are seized. Or it could be many other reasons such as a bad starter, bad battery and so on.

By the sound of it, though, this car might be hiding major issues. I'm not gonna say "stay away from it 100%", but maybe read up on what to look for when buying a DSM and go back to it to give it a better look over, maybe try making it turn over and start it with the owner if he wants.

What is he asking for it? Even if the engine is completely shot, if the chassis is in good shape and minimal rust, I would say around $1k would be reasonable? Then again you're in Washington state, I'm sure you guys get lots of salt during the winter... Many things to consider! But definitely find out why the engine ain't cranking if you decide to buy it!
Hes asking $500 (Very Close Friend) and car is good condition except I'll need some axles(hes including 1 for free) and intake system besides what it needs to run and rust I cant really say about i just did a quick check it up since i was in a hurry but I'll I'll definitely see why the engine is not cranking

Have you checked the timing belt? Make sure it didn't snap? Just slip the top timing belt cover (3 10 mm bolts are holding it on... 2 on top and one in the back) and inspect the belt by visual inspection and/or try putting some pressure on it to see if it gives way.
Just my two cents.
No Its the timing belt first thing I checked thanks tho

Honestly if he's asking $500, I say go for it, especially if the timing belt didn't snap. I have 4 dsms at my house and wish I paid $500 for at least one of them LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back