The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

stock turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyhoppy

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2006
New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
i have a 93 talon tsi. im in alaska right now and the car is in PA, so i can't look at my turbo. I am wondering what turbo comes stock in this car, because if it is the smaller turbo I will try to find a larger turbo so that when i get back I can put my motor together with the larger turbo. thanks. ans which turbo do you think would be good. i plan on porting the 02 housing and getting Cams. thanks.

so i'd be further ahead to get a 16g or is there somethingelse i should look into getting?

tyhoppy said:
so i'd be further ahead to get a 16g or is there somethingelse i should look into getting?

That would be a commom mistake of newbies to jump to bigger turbos before anything else is done to your car.... You didnt have anything on your profile so Im taking it that your completely bone stock, therefore you dont have any supporting mods for the turbo upgrade yet..
You need to get a logger too before you raise boost too much, and get an intake, and intercooler hard pipes, suspension, full exhaust, bigger fuel pump and injectors, and a type of fuel management, and a upgraded clutch before you even start thinking about running a bigger turbo.

Here read this.....
http://dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=1gtupgrades

i am going to be porting the O2 housing and getting cams.

Do the supporting mods first. Then upgrade the turbo. Trust me you will get tired of the lack of power the stock turbo has at high rpms and high speeds. Im looking for a bigger turbo as of right now LOL

Listen to these guys when they say do the supporting mods of fuel, clutch, intake, replace the old rubber hoses with hard IC piping, go with a FMIC or a larger Supra MKIV sidemount, get a boost guage, the stock one isnt that accuate. Crush the 1G BOV or get another one. When you do all that then go to a larger turbo, the results will have you smiling not on the side of the road broken down.

fourreGsixty3 said:
Listen to these guys when they say do the supporting mods of fuel, clutch, intake, replace the old rubber hoses with hard IC piping, go with a FMIC or a larger Supra MKIV sidemount, get a boost guage, the stock one isnt that accuate. Crush the 1G BOV or get another one. When you do all that then go to a larger turbo, the results will have you smiling not on the side of the road broken down.

exactly...

exactly what these guys said dsms are known to make alot of power on stock turbos do the supporting mods before upgrading your turbo after the money is spent you will be much happier with other mods such as intake, tbe, pump boost controller ect. i suggest a reliable boost guage being your first modd though just my 2 cents

so should i get cams as one of the first mods?

streetvisions said:
exactly what these guys said dsms are known to make alot of power on stock turbos do the supporting mods before upgrading your turbo after the money is spent you will be much happier with other mods such as intake, tbe, pump boost controller ect. i suggest a reliable boost guage being your first modd though just my 2 cents

He just told you...
Your rushing into the big power gainers which should be done in stages like what
was linked to you in the tech article....

First get supporting mods.....
This is the order ive gone on my set up so far
( And FYI my engine now that im going to be running is a swapped in 6bolt engine with new everything except rods and crankshaft and tranny, but almost all the internals have been cryotreated. )

Engine wise I did it like this-
Muffler
intake filter
upgraded clutch
lightweight flywheel
intake pipe
boost gauge
3in dp - 3in exhaust pipeing ( getting a new muffler, a 3in unit )
upper and lower intercooler hard pipes
bov recirculation hard pipe ( not needed personal preference)
bcs mod
mbc

and now I still need a logger before I raise boost,
and I havent even touched it yet...

Now at least consider getting your logger, full intake and exhaust set up
and upgraded clutch before raising boost.

And as far as you said with cams this is how im doing cams when I get them
im going to get 264/272s and Im waiting to a lot later down the line
because when I go in there for cams im getting cam gears, the hks kevlar timing belt,
upgraded retainers and other valve train components, and a cometic head gasket and arp studs so that when I put the head back together its going back together with everything...
Thats just how I do things I clump mods all together and throw everything at once instead of going back and forth putting stuff....
Just my opinion, and you have other stuff you can do now that will make your car feel faster. Dont rush it though, the ppl who do find themselves needing engine overhauls..

tyhoppy said:

Did you read the link I gave you? The answer is: No, cams should not be one of your first mods. They probably aren't even in the first ten mods you should get. Please fill out your vehicle profile so we know what you already have done to the car.

tyhoppy said:

Did you even read what people are telling you :beatentodeath: ? :mad:
NO CAMS!!!!!! Follow the upgrade path that was mentioned earlier

I know what you are telling me, but, will i still experience power gains? and will it run right with them?

Get supporting mods before you slap on the 16g, go to the 1g tech guide and you will need everything you need to reach your goals:thumb:

i was talking about just cams....?? will it hurt anything?

Cams aren't going to do anything for you until late in the rpm band, which is where the stock turbos usually fall on their faces and don't do any good. But to run a larger turbo, you need supporting mods. Thus, the STAGED UPGRADE PATH was born.

Will larger cams make any power on your car? Sure. Not as much as they would if they were properly supported though. Will they affect your idle? Most assuredly they will. At this point in your car's evolution, they're not the most appropriate mod, but it's your car, your money, and your decision.

ok, thank you. I was just wondering, because I was wanting to put the cams in, when i put my motor together, and then work on the other mods. such as intercooler and intake pipes, exhaust, etc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back