The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Stock turbo spool? Stock 2g BOV sound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdorsman

Proven Member
Oct 17, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Well I purchased this GS-T back in august and have always been wondering why my car has such a loud spool and bov sound. I've read on here that the 2g bov sucks ass, leaks boost, and doesn't really make a sound. My bov is stock, its noticeably loud and its recirculated. It sounds as if it was vented to the atmosphere which it isn't. It actually has me worried that its loud haha.

My turbo is loud as well, i've also read that the t-25 is a tiny turbo with little to no action, this turbo pulls and its loud. Originally when I purchased the car, the previous owner said it was stock besides a 14b turbo. It is running stock boost. I never checked but now im curious. Anyone know if the spool on the 14b is loud or not? I'm planning on checking the turbo to see what it really is, it sure doesn't feel like a stock t-25 based on what i've read haha.

Could this be problematic or normal? Should I be worried? I plan on getting a 1g bov or an aftermarket unit. My car has a k & n drop in filter. I've also seen in another threads to perform a boost leak test which I will if there is a need.

To be honest, a picture of the engine bay will help us determine what you all have for modifications under the hood. In my personal experience, 14b's are not as loud as a t25.

k give me a moment, its a bit dirty because of oil leaking from the valve cover which I fixed. but overall there is nothing to show.

Not the best picture. If you need a close up on something I'll provide. and yeah I know about the upper timing cover, I haven't gotten around to getting one. I do have the lower tho. Also, idk if having the heatshields there indicates whether or not its a stock turbo. However it looks like its been tampered with considering the bolts were broken haha.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see a j-pipe in there that goes off of the compressor side, that shiny pipe. That means it is most certainly not a t25 and could be either a 14b (like you previously stated) or maybe a evo III 16g, which would be pretty lucky. Not stock t25 though, can tell that much.

Well, looks to be stock besides a 14b. One thing you might be hearing that sounds similar to a turbo sound is the stock bov cracking open once you reach a certain pressure. With a stock exhaust I remember my t25 spool was VERY audible. Do a boost leak test like you mentioned earlier. You might be able to determine if one of the sounds your hearing is infact the stock blow off valve opening up.

Well thats good to know :). At least I wont be having to upgrade a turbo soon if it is a 14b/16g. I doubt its a 16g considering there were no supporting mods present, but it'd be awesome if it was haha. Will do the boost leak test when I get the time to make my own tester LOL. If it is just the bov, i'm looking to upgrade anyway.

^ You sound fairly knowledgeable on these cars. That was going to be my next question to you, if you had supporting mods then it could be a 16g LOL 14b is a good turbo to start with, leaps and bounds over the t25. Hopefully it's in pretty good repair with no shaft play or anything. Good luck with that clean ride man!

Thanks for the serial number reference, and I'm not all that knowledgeable, just do my research before hand. I have the basics of these cars down. I'm looking to get my hands dirty with this car and learn more about it. Since i'm doing the boost leak I'm going to check shaftplay while im at it.

Seeing as that does indeed look to be a 14b, it will spool a little later than the t25 rpmwise, will pull a fair bit harder, and will make more noise. Having that and the j pipe setup is a great start! One thing tho is that the 14b likes to run more boost than the t25, a fair bit more actually, and if you are still rockin a stock 2g bov, it WILL leak around 15-17psi, which is no Bueno. Grab a new bov and you are golden, (1g or aftermarket) just make sure you recirculate it! Also, a full 3" exhaust would really open that Turbo up to breathe ;-)

Interesting. I pulled the factory airbox off my stock T25 tonight since I got a new MAF/Filter setup. Spool is fairly loud!

The T-25 seems to have a louder spooling sound than the 14b. I'm not sure if it's because of the different compressor wheel design causing more audible turbulance or not, but they do seem louder. You can also tell a 14b from a 16g visually by just pulling your intake pipe and looking at the wheel.

On the picture, 14b on left, 16g on right. Should be easy to tell which is which. :thumb:

Attachments

• 082020124383.jpg
    082020124383.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 197
The T-25 seems to have a louder spooling sound than the 14b. I'm not sure if it's because of the different compressor wheel design causing more audible turbulance or not, but they do seem louder
That's because the T25 is so small, at 12psi or whatever you're running it's actually near the end of it's effectiveness....so it's compressing the air much more than a 14B at the same boost level.

Keep in mind any audible "whistle" will be silenced by the mass airflow sensor. You'll still hear the rush of air being drawn in, there just won't be a whistle until you go to a blow-thru MAS or speed density.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back