The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Stock Sleeper

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC17PSE

Freelancer
Nov 1, 2008
London, UK, Europe
So I picked it up this morning yay. drive back was ok but nervous as an older car and not knowing the full history! but I made it back all ok and well.

there are some problems with it but im currently helping my 91 Talon friend here restore him so I have to get his done first before i can start mine.

current known problems are listed below!!

* Cold start issue! possible ecu temp sensor or fiav issue. intake temp sensor was replaced i was told but to rule it out i might do this again myself with a good known brand i trust so its up to my spec and detail

* suspension needs addressing! its soft and its old so thats pretty simple for me to tackle.

* tires are old and soft / deflating so i got 2 option here! replace the tires and refurb the oem wheels or....... put my rare 17" bridgestone wheels on and new tires? if i did this then i would need to lower it a bit but that might be part of the suspension refresh plans?

* the trans is stuck in third gear so its not nice on a highway nor pulling away! so for this i plan to drop the pan and clean the entire valve body out and install a new filter. I dont know whether to install a shift kit while im here to make it a better system overall? OD does not work so It may need a good clean and dismantle anyway.

* the timing is an unknown so thats one of my vital parts to get done and out the way also. all fluids will be refreshed inc any sensors and stat along the way! might as well.

other then those issues its a really nice car! I got all the oem parts with it so things like the air intake will go back to oem and also the steering wheel might go back to oem also as i dont like the one thats on it.

for a 67k mile car it shows its very clean and really rust free!

other small bits i need to address are passenger window sticks and seatbelt does not work so never owned a 1G before I now have some new learning to do.

the other long question is............. do i put my old turbo kit on it from my 2G?? this maybe something I do later on if I do decide to upgrade it.

Actually decided and had time to work on this talon! Shocking...

So over the last 2 weeks i have started to work on the main things and a clean up of parts.

AT, the valve body came out as i wanted to install a shiftkit and change the fluids and filter anyway. Part of new ownership is going through it all. The fluid was dirty snd filter was some weird double sided filter mesh so i got a NOS oem unit and plenty of spares LOL. Shift kit went in ok as normal and done a few of these now so getting quicker at them. The seperator plate was in good condition thankfully so did not need a spare but with little miles its no wonder its not damaged. This is now back in currently and just awaiting the atf fluid to turn up then i can finish this all up.

The TCU i read was an issue so i took this out to confirm the capacitor had leaked and its not that bad, i got new ones on order in the exact same as oem so once out will clean around it snd protect it once all back together.

Working on some of the corroded parts im blasting to remove rust, flaked paint and painting these to look nicer and fresh again. And it makes a huge difference. The valve cover is next and i will be re painting it in oem colors just so its as original as possible. It needed a clean so its being unltransolic cleaned as under the cover was a bit of oil staining which is not nice so will clean that off and inside the baffles also due to the age.

I have everything for the new timing belt and pullys and stat to go on so this will be 100% new also.

Once all this is done im hoping i got all gears again and its now possible to get the yearly i spection done. I would love to use this during the summer months this year. Me and another local 1G (gsx) i am restoring shortly will roll around together, he will be faster but having TWO oem cars is something of a great thing. He trust me to do his restoration and work on his chassis as no one else likes to for somereason LOL so I am happy to help him and get stuck in for him on the chassis as he is the original owner also! Together our chassis will be amazing to drive about as a pair.

IMG_20240408_070623.jpg
IMG_20240408_070628.jpg
IMG_20240412_174957.jpg
IMG_20240412_175011.jpg
IMG_20240412_175019.jpg
IMG_20240413_140455.jpg
IMG_20240413_140556.jpg
IMG_20240413_140621.jpg
IMG_20240413_140618.jpg
IMG_20240413_140610.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back