The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A Stock MT Specs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I think the PO screwed around with my trans. The gearing seems improper and sloppy. And it also doesn't agree with anything I've read about a stock trans. It's not the trans that came in the car, so I'm wondering what it did come out of, and has it been built, or attempted to.

What I'm looking for is:
- top speed per gear
- gear ratios
- any other useful info pertaining to 420a MT

I don’t know a lot about the 420a motors, but what numbers are stamped into the transmission housing? Should be able to look those up and see what it is.

Lots of other cars came with the same trans. Neon trans will fit right in if you find one with a hydraulic bell housing. They had a taller final drive gear. 3.55 vs the eclipse 3.94. Depending on the year of neon trans other gears were slightly different to.

If i remember right my stock trans did somewhere around 62mph in 2nd gear. I run a neon trans now and can get up to ab 72mph in 2nd.

You can always calculate your gear ratio from your speed rpm and tire size. You will have to check both final drives and see which one makes sense.

If i remember right my stock trans did somewhere around 62mph in 2nd gear. I run a neon trans now and can get up to ab 72mph in 2nd.
Rev limiter at 70mph for me. 16 inch wheels and 55's for tires. My tach is slightly behind. Possibly I have a Neon trans.

If you don't mind, what markings are on your trans, and where are they?

There is an ID tag located on the driver side of the transmission. It's on the metal end cap on the side. You may have to remove the wheel to see if. It will have the production part number on it.

There is an ID tag located on the driver side of the transmission. It's on the metal end cap on the side. You may have to remove the wheel to see if. It will have the production part number on it.
I still have all those stock plastic covers under there. Will those need to be moved?

And what I'm really asking for is what letters/numbers I should be looking for.

i noticed the gear ratio specs in the pdf version of the service manual has the final drive as 3.55 but as far as i know all years have a 3.94.
neon transmission variant info can be found at:
https://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=nv-t350_and_variants_information

here is the correct ratios
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

this is the stock gear ratios, stock 205/55/16 tires and a 7100 rpm rev limit.

===========================================

this is with the 5th gear swapped to a neon 0.72
rev limit is 7000 rpm

======================================================

stock 1-5 gears, final drive swapped to neon 3.55

=============================================

0.72 fifth gear and 3.55 final drive

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back