The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G stock engine temp gauge stopped working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocCitySlayer

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 20, 2011
Rochester, New_York
What could cause a stock engine temp gauge to stop working? It doesnt work on any of the 2 clusters I have. I changed the theromstat lastnight and it didnt change anything

A possible wiring issue has arose and/or your gauge unit, NOT your coolant sensor stop working. It is a possibly the gauge itself is no longer functional.

There are 2 connectors going into the housing... one is a double connector and the other is a single wire connector on the bottom. Which is the one to the temp gauge?

Ground the single wire terminal to something metal and see if the gauge inside the car pegs out, if it doesnt its not the sensor.

A little help on this end also:

My Temp gauge is doing a similar, but in reverse.

It works fine, but will suddenly peg to the hot for a few, then head to where it usually rests, which is right before the half mark.

Now to me, it's a classic example of a stuck T-stat, or worse a blown HG.

Yet, T-stat is working normally and no probs with a blown HG.

Now, here is the weird one: after a full cool down from going to work, when I hit the key, the gauge will peg up to the half with coolant cold, then flips to show that the coolant is cold then rises normally.

There are times, the needle bounces from normal temp to full hot, ten back down and then will rest there for the duration of the drive.

Has a new Temp Sensor, new Sending Unit. I Pulled T-stat out to check and it opens great in a pot of boiling water. Coolant level is where it should be in the neck of the radiator and overflow is at its level.
I disconnected the sending wire to touch ground and no response from the gauge to show full peg to hot.

Wonder if I have a goofy speedo cluster that isn't doing its thing.

thx for the help - DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back