The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Stock 6 bolt rebuild - DIY or take it to a shop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwb

Proven Member
Sep 9, 2021
Broomfield, Colorado
I'm looking for some opinions and maybe some first hand experience on performing a DIY head/bottom end assembly vs taking it to a shop. I don't want to put a lot of money into it, hence DIY, but I also don't want to have to tear it down multiple times to get it right. Time isn't much of a factor but I would like to be done before next fall.

A little background first:
It's a stock 91 TSi AWD 6 bolt with 270k miles on the bottom end. I believe it's a virgin factory build. It burned a fair amount of oil and is definitely ready for a refresh. I swapped the head with a fresher used one several years ago, but kept my old head with about 230k miles on it in storage, also virgin as far as I know. The old head has no bent valves and came off a running car, but needs valve seals and probably upgraded lash adjusters at very least.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, the timing belt broke and I'm sure it took the valves with it. I haven't tore it apart yet to assess the damage, but I do know I want to rebuild it. So I have a tired old 6 bolt block/crank, and 2 heads - one likely with bent valves and the other needing refreshed. Should be a good candidates for rebuild.

Goals:
Daily driver. Maybe an Evo3 16G turbo with mild supporting mods in the future. Nothing extravagant and probably won't ever see the track. It's been stock for the last 23 years I've owned it, so I don't see a lot changing there.

My ability, for considering a DIY:
I've never rebuilt a motor or even tore one apart (yet). I really would like to do it myself as the only thing I've ever needed a shop for is tires and alignment. I've done everything else myself, including rebuilding the manual trans, head swap, timing belt, BS elimination, power steering rack/pump rebuild, transfer case rebuild, wheel bearings, brakes, axles, clutch, and anything else that's needed to be fixed on my DSM. Everything has held up well and I'm proud I've kept it running as long as I did. I'd be even more proud to say I rebuild the motor myself!

Obviously I'd need a machine shop to take care of all the surfaces. As far as assembly, this is where I'm looking for some advice. I feel like the spare head is do-able DIY (after machining) but the bottom end is a little more daunting. While I don't think anything in the bottom end is damaged, it's definitely worn. If possible I'd like to reuse the pistons and rods to keep the cost down, but I'm still researching the benefit vs cost of going aftermarket or even 2g pistons. Crank should be fine and probably only needs polishing and new bearings. However, everything in there is a total unknown until I tear it down.

If you were in my shoes, and keeping cost in mind, what direction would you go? Pay a shop to build a short block or just have it machined and do all the assembly yourself?

Have it machined, and do it yourself. It's absolutely not hard. Take your time, make sure your area is clear wherever you're assembling it, and you'll be just fine. Invest in a rod bolt stretch gauge, but yeah. It's not hard. Just tedious. I absolutely love it.

When I was like 18 with similar experience as you, I assembled a stock 6 bolt, had 2G pistons on 1G rods(bought from DSMGraveyard before they started scamming people, that's how long ago it was!) stock crank, etc. Engine is still together to this day, guy who got it from me in Louisiana pulled the pan to check it out before he re-sold it after he used it, and it looked mint. I have the picture floating around here somewhere.

But yeah, take your time, and just look up all the specs for torque, how much rod bolt stretch to do, etc. Easy-peasy. I'm gonna do the same thing to my 7 bolt that's in my Talon now. Absolutely love that stuff.

+1 for doing it yourself. Might have to buy a few more tools(measuring devices). Most if not all the info you need is in this forum although it would be handy to have the fsm. Find a good machine shop, keep everything clean and pay attention what your doing and it’ll turn out fine. I rebuilt my first motor last year and it was a great and fun experience, rebuilding another now. Lol.

+1 for doing it yourself. Might have to buy a few more tools(measuring devices). Most if not all the info you need is in this forum although it would be handy to have the fsm. Find a good machine shop, keep everything clean and pay attention what your doing and it’ll turn out fine. I rebuilt my first motor last year and it was a great and fun experience, rebuilding another now. Lol.
I like tools :D
Fsm was one of the first things I ever acquired for DSMs.

I like tools :D

Every project is an excuse to buy more tools!

FSM was one of the first things I ever acquired for DSMs.

Me too, the day I bought the car. From the parts guy's reaction I must have been the first to do so from them. He had to call the service manager over to make sure he could.

The rebuild task is not beyond you. It is a bit time consuming and rightly so if you want it done right. Prep work is 80% (cleaning, checking tolerances, re-checking). The rest is the fun of assembly and THEN you get to hear the fruits of your labor, when it starts up and you say "I did that"!
(Sorry Joe, no pun intended for the sticker bombers).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back