The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

stock 4G63 on a 97 spider?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrcruz

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2002
Newport_News_VA
My spider came with a stock 4G63 engine on it. Does any body else has this insted of the 420A. The label on the engine bay bay says 2.0 4G63. The engine block also has the 4G63 number on it. But the intake is the small one. Is this something comon or something they did to eliminate crank walk.

none of the spyders came with the 420a, only na 2g's. the na spyders use a 2.4 mill and the turbo cars have the 4g63. sorry you are just a susceptible to crankwalk as every other 2g'er if that worries you. fyi, not all 2g's crankwalk.

Originally posted by wrcruz
My spider came with a stock 4G63 engine on it. Does any body else has this insted of the 420A. The label on the engine bay bay says 2.0 4G63. The engine block also has the 4G63 number on it. But the intake is the small one. Is this something comon or something they did to eliminate crank walk.
HUh

im new to the DSM scene, and i really dont know much about them yet. I was just wondering exactly what "crankwalk" was. Ive searched, so dont flame, but i found topics talking about it, never really defining what it is. <3 all

Crankwalk is a failure where the crankshaft begins to literally "walk" through the engine internals, starting with the thrust bearing. This, needless to say, results in bad things and can destroy the bottom half of your motor.

Nobody knows what causes it, so don't bother trying to figure it out. Other cars can get this, not just DSM's.

It's believed, by some, that the earlier "6-bolt" motors don't get this as much. Some believe the newer (98 and 99) "7-bolt" motors don't get it as much. Not everybody believes either of these things. A '97 is considered prime crankwalk territory.

It's hard to say how prevalent it is, because all of the surveys are fairly informal. Mitsubishi has never, to my knowledge, published data on it.

Originally posted by wrcruz

:thumb: I think I have the same problem as you...some retard stuck a turboed engine in my spyder...what in the hell where they thinking :p

Seriously, not sure what you mean by "small" intake, but I assume you mean it doesn't look like the N/A eclipse do. This is normal for all turboed eclipse/talons. I suggest you do a lot of reading if you are interested in your car...that's what I did and it clears up a lot. This is the best source of information for new owners...http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/ Trust me, I've learned a lot!!!!

about the intake manifold, i think hes just upset that its smaller then his first gens intake manifold...well it is

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back