The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Stock 2G Coil vs MSD Coil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interex

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 28, 2008
Centralia, Illinois
Well I've tried to find some information about the difference/gain between these coils. I have an MSD DIS-2, and a SRT-4 Coil pack to use on my Talon. I am looking to see if anyone has a comparison between these two. I know a lot of people say after market coils are better and especially MSD coils but this is not the case. I would like proof that the MSD would out perform the stock coil. If using the MSD is only going to be a 10-15% improvement over the stock coil then changing it just for a gain would be pointless. Anyone?

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish hp wise, but our stock coils are more than enough. MSD has been around forever and is used in a lot of race cars, so i don't see why an srt-4 coil would be better. If the gain is 10-15% then yes that is a big difference when you have a high hp car that needs a good spark.

I have an SRT-4 MSD Coil (may actually be Mitsu 4 post but used on SRT4) because my friend gave it to me. It will work on the 4g63 also. I'm not looking to accomplish ANYTHING. My thread isnt about what I expect to accomplish, but to find out the difference or to compare the stock vs the MSD one. I also know that MSD is not a RACE-ONLY. MSD = Multi Spark Discharge it has an advantage above a standard spark and can have a hotter fire than standard. So your answer really didnt prove anything other than give you extra points on your "Posts"

There really isnt anything to agree to... there was no point made. Just useless ramble. Obviously people who dont know something about MSD or even advantages to using MSD products.

Why are you asking if a msd coil is better than stock?Of course it is. Will you see a difference? Hard to say. It depends on the condition of your motor, hp output,condition of current ignition system, and about a hundred other things. If your current ignition system is falling behind then yes you will probably see a difference. No one on here is going to be able to tell you how it is going to perform on your car. If you want some solid info email msd:thumb:And ease up on the op. He didnt mean anything by his post you took it the wrong way;)And his post makes perfect sense

erm I am the OP.... Anyway I didnt ask which was better. My post is not designated to weather the engine will run better using the MSD or the Stock Coil Pack. My post is asking about figures. I want to know the difference between the two as compared to voltages, joules, etc. I have a MSD DIS-2 Ignition Module so I already know the spark will be better/hotter but I am just wanting to know differences in the coil packs that is all. Is it really that difficult to answer? Does no one else here use MSD Products?

Why are you asking if a msd coil is better than stock?Of course it is. Will you see a difference? Hard to say. It depends on the condition of your motor, hp output,condition of current ignition system, and about a hundred other things. If your current ignition system is falling behind then yes you will probably see a difference. No one on here is going to be able to tell you how it is going to perform on your car. If you want some solid info email msd:thumb:And ease up on the op. He didnt mean anything by his post you took it the wrong way;)And his post makes perfect sense

+1 for taking it easy on the op. and of course a msd ignition is better than a factory srt's, whether you'll see a gain or not really depends on your setup and condition of your motor.:beatentodeath::talon:

wow man... I have a MSD Coil Pack bought for an SRT-4... It will work on the 4g63... I know people use them because of the name brand, and because of the power they supply. I just dont see why people keep saying "The MSD is better" Well that isnt the case. The case in hand is the power output, voltage, joules compared between the two. :( I just dont understand how difficult this is to find someone to answer.

My buddy is runnning 9s in his 2g on stock ignition, dsmlink and stock 2g mas. Spend your money elsewhere.

hmm, spend my money elsewhere? This is something I already have! The MSD Ignition Module was bought and used on an older car that is since gone, and the coil pack was given to me from a friend. So... I'm not wasting any money. And again some people just dont seem to understand the benefit of the MSD system.

Lets go ahead and explain a little about the MSD DIS-2 and why MSD recommends this Ignition Module for the DSM specifically.

-

Maximize your vehicle's distributorless ignition system (DIS) with MSD's powerful new ignition controls; the MSD DIS-2 and DIS-4. These Ignition Controls feature Multi-Channel capability, and can deliver up to 480 volts to the primary side of most DIS type dual output coils. With its two channels, the MSD Digital DIS-2 is designed for use on all 4-cylinder applications using 2 coils, while the DIS-4 can be used on all 6 and 8-cylinder engines with three or four coils.
These new DIS Ignitions feature the race proven capacitive discharge, multiple spark design of the MSD 6 Series Ignitions.

Each spark of the MSD Digital DIS Ignitions is packed with up to 115 millijoules of spark energy, resulting in more efficient combustion to produce more power. To improve low speed throttle response, smooth out the idle and stop low speed spark plug fouling our engineers included MSD's proven multiple spark discharge feature. This race tested design produces a series of full power sparks that last for 20° of crankshaft rotation to ensure complete combustion of the fuel mixture!

The MSD DIS Ignition Controls are an incredible breakthrough for late model Eclipses, Talons, Mitsubishi GT 3000s and a list of other DIS Ignition equipped vehicles. With the proven MSD Ignition high speed RISC microcontroller technology and years of performance ignition experience, the MSD DIS Ignition Controls will make a great addition to your car!

Soft Touch REV Control - The DIS-2 and DIS-4 both feature an adjustable built-in Soft Touch Rev Control to protect the engine from overrev damage caused by missed shifts or broken driveline components. This feature produces a smooth rev-limiting action by randomly dropping one cylinder at a time and then refiring that cylinder on the next firing cycle. This feature is easily adjusted with simple program switches mounted on the side of the unit.

Two Step Module Selector - The Two Step function of the MSD Digital DIS Ignition allows you to activate a low rpm limit while staging and waiting for the light to turn green. This popular feature gives you a distinct advantage over your competition by permitting you to control your engine's rpm precisely before every launch. With a fixed rpm limit at the starting line, each launch will be consistent and quick! The rpm limit is easy to adjust in 250 rpm increments with switches built into the side of the housing.

Programmable Timing Control - Precise timing control is essential to producing maximum engine power. With the addition of nitrous, turbos or supercharger systems, timing becomes even more critical. To get the most out of your engine, the ignition must be able to compensate for these extreme changes in cylinder pressure throughout the engine's entire rpm range. During low speed operation, the MSD DIS Ignitions use the factory ignition to control basic timing functions. Once maximum timing is achieved, the DIS-2 and DIS-4 can be programmed to retard the timing at a specific rate and rpm point to prevent engine damage due to detonation caused by excessive timing.

LED Monitor - A built-in LED monitor is a useful tool to determine the status of the charging and ignition systems. When the battery voltage drops below 8 volts, the LED will begin flashing at a rate of two times per second, letting you know that the charging system is not operating properly or that the battery has failed. Also, if any of the ignition's channels lose their trigger input, the LED will flash at a rate of one flash per second.

Ignition Interupt - To prevent accidental or unauthorized starting of the vehicle, the MSD DIS Ignition systems feature a driver activated ignition interrupt feature that can be used as an anti-theft device. When activated, this feature will prevent the engine from starting by disabling the ignition's voltage output to the coil.

EMI Noise Protection - As with all MSD Ignition products, additional protection from Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) has been added to the design of the DIS. Special circuitry filters out unwanted noise that commonly causes other aftermarket ignition systems to false trigger, operate intermittently and even fail.

Last edited by a moderator:
If no one actually has an answer, why don't you give it a try and contribute to the community? Take it to the dyno and see if there are any improvements. Just asking for thoughts or opinions will only give you thoughts and opinions. You could also use a slight attitude adjustment instead of demanding for answers.

I never demanded for an answer. I only tried to tell people I was NOT wanting to hear their opinion if the MSD was better than the Stock. I dont care which one is "better", All I wanted to know was the differences between the two. Aparently everyone only read "MSD" "Stock" and then blurted "MSD IS BETTER!" Or assumed I was trying to make some kind of statement that I wanted to know if MSD was a better product. I'm not demanding, I'm not trying to sound difficult but apparently some people just do not understand unless you really spell it out to them. Once again I'll explain it since you seem to misunderstand. I am not wanting to know how my car will perform using the MSD. I know what the MSD does and how it works and how the car will perform. I was only wanting to know if anyone knew a comparable difference in the output power of the two. This has become pointless, if people dont know they dont need to post. It's that easy.

Well I've tried to find some information about the difference/gain between these coils. I have an MSD DIS-2, and a SRT-4 Coil pack to use on my Talon. I am looking to see if anyone has a comparison between these two. I know a lot of people say after market coils are better and especially MSD coils but this is not the case. I would like proof that the MSD would out perform the stock coil. If using the MSD is only going to be a 10-15% improvement over the stock coil then changing it just for a gain would be pointless. Anyone?

Right. Specify what you want in the first post before changing it after a couple of posts and calling other people's posts pointless. Don't bump your threads either.

I know a lot of people say after market coils are better and especially MSD coils but this is not the case.

Well i tried helping and you said that it was a bunch of RAMBLING stuff. Read carefully what you wrote the very first time, you are contradicting yourself because you are saying that MSD is not better than stock. Then a few posts later you said that there is a big advantage to MSD.

There is no point to prove MSD is number one because it is BETTER than a stock coil anytime and anyday. Since our cars come with a good ignition system there is no reason to change it as i mentioned EARLIER. NO you don't gain 10-20hp from it by replacing you stock one with an MSD one, I learned that on my previous DSM. SO there is your answer.:beatentodeath:

But I'm not looking to gain HP by using one. The advantage to using MSD are the features they offer. It isnt about if the stock one is powerful enough to handle everything. That is the point I'm trying to make.

Well I tried to find info on the srt4 msd coil, but there isn't much about it on the msd website. However, the mitsubishi 4-tower coil on the msd website shares the same part number that they list for the srt-4 coil. (PN 8239)

I was able to find the specs for the mitsu 4-tower coil:
Primary Resistance: .051 ohms
Secondary Resistance: 12K ohms
Maximum Voltage: 36,000 volts
Inductance: 7 mH
Turns Ratio: 77:1

If those are the same coil, then this should be the specs for the srt-4 coil.
Maybe you can compare those numbers to the stock coil specs.

I hope that helps a little.

Oh, I have the MSD coil specs, I cant find any for the 2G stock coil. I would like to know that same info based only on the 2GA stock coil. And yes the SRT-4 Coil is the same coil from what I've gathered. Just he had it for his SRT-4 and I knew it worked for the Mitsu/DSM. Maybe the SRT guys buy the mitsu ones for their cars :p But thanks a lot for your post and by trying to help clear this up.

I already know that isn't true. MSD claims a 10% or better spark/performance from the MSD coil pack alone with a wider, hotter spark.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back