The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

stevie tek fuel system upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwkdsm2

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2002
hickory, North_Carolina
i was wondering if anyone has done this upgrade.................also i was wondering would it still be good to upgrade the fuel lines to -6an if im running a 190lph fuel pump.....also is the 190lph fuel pump good enough to handle 20 psi on a 18g turbo,big 16g and 20g

I've done a "partial" SteveTek upgrade. I replaced from the top of the stock filter to the rail, thus eliminating the banjo bolt and stock line. I had originally replaced the stock filter too with one of those supposedly "high flow inline" filters, but my EGTs went through the roof, indicating that it was not flowing much. I replaced the stock filter, along with an adapter that screws into the top of the filter and has a -6AN fitting on the other side. A -6AN hose end and braided SS line goes from that to a -6AN fuel rail adapter. I like it and it seems to help my fuel delivery problems somewhat. I still need to do a pump rewire, though (stock pump still).

A friend, former mechanic, absolutely had a fit when I told him about running braided line from the fuel tank to the engine bay. He insists that hard-line under the car is essential for safety reasons. He's seen braided lines leaking like a sieve after only a year of use.

I decided to go with fuel-filter to rail upgrade only.

Originally posted by jpolizo
A friend, former mechanic, absolutely had a fit when I told him about running braided line from the fuel tank to the engine bay. He insists that hard-line under the car is essential for safety reasons. He's seen braided lines leaking like a sieve after only a year of use.

I've done the upgrade with 8AN and was a little nervous too about the line under the car. I looked under there recently and the Aeroquip hose looked as good as the day I bought it. I don't drive my car in the winter or hardly in the rain though either. I've thought about buying a piece of conduit for better protection. It'll look a little dorky under there but no one will ever see it. I just don't feel like taking that damn hose end off to slide the conduit over it. I probably would be a little concerned if you drive your car all year round and live in winter climates.

We've done this all the way from the fuel pump itself all the way to the rail. We used -6 (1/2 in if I remember right) aluminum hard line from the pump to the filter under the car. This stuff is much cheaper than braided, but you have to be careful not to kink it and make sure you get the ends flaired correctly. I think a 25' roll was like $50... which was enough to do 2 cars. Then we used a bulk head fitting at the pump assembly and then fittings and some special hose to the pump. On the other end we used an earls fuel filter, then braided hose from there to the Holley rail. It was somewhat of a pain in the but, but definately worth it.

Ken, the Earl's filter was what I tried to start with and had problems. So you didn't experience any flow restrictions with it?

And -6AN is 3/8" I believe. The numbers (-6, -8, etc.) are how many 16ths of an inch the diameter is, so -8 would be 1/2" (8/16).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back