The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Steering Wheel Shakes when hitting bumps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshky9

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2005
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Here is the deal i have a 90 talon. The steering wheel will shake from side to side when I hit bumps. I think my shocks/struts are toasted. I have checked play from 12 to 6 and from 3 to 9 i am getting no play after the outer tie rods and ball joints have been replaced. Rack was replaced about 2000 miles ago. I get no vibration at higher speeds and no vibration when braking. The question is can totally gone shocks/struts cause the wheel to shake left to right? I have searched the best I can any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

I have checked outer tie rods. Like I said they are brand new, I do not know how to check inner tie rods. However, pretty sure the shock is leaky. My only question is will totally blown shocks cause the steering wheel to shake when hitting bumps. Thank you for the replies guys.

Any movement in the strut mounts? If so that could be your shaking. But even so if you know the struts are bad, replace the struts and strut mounts and see if the shaking goes away. Also check the front sway bar bushings and end links. Let me know.

I have checked outer tie rods. Like I said they are brand new, I do not know how to check inner tie rods. However, pretty sure the shock is leaky. My only question is will totally blown shocks cause the steering wheel to shake when hitting bumps. Thank you for the replies guys.

By shaking the wheel at 3 and 9 you should have already checked the inner tie rods. The inner is just a ball and socket. As long as you don't have any play at 3 and 9 tie rods are good. What about you lug nut torque. Don't have any loose wheels do you? By shaking do you mean a vibration after the impact or mean the wheel pulls abnormally to the side hitting a bump?

Hey guys sorry its been a while. Still vibrating like crazy when i hit a bump. Steering Wheel shakes and seems to pull to one side, also a horrible clunking sound is present. I really think strut mounts could be the culprit but someone told me i could have a loose frame connection. I am about to go check it out right now but i have just been really busy with school and work. Thanks guys for all the help i really appreciate it.

Check tie rods (even if you have already), wheel bearings, ball joints, strut mounts usually squeak but they can stick sometimes. Check your sway bar bushings make sure they are there and not completely cracked. Also check the sway bar end links. They can break pretty easy and will make the car shake pretty good. Make sure struts arent leaking as well as check the springs to make sure they arent broken, not very common on DSM's but it does happen.

Also is there any certain time it does it. Highway only, street, during a corner, over a bump, etc. Any extra information will help me to determine whats wrong. Normally I listen to what a customer says but its the driving it myself that lets me figure out whats wrong. Let me know.

Ive got the same issue, when hitting a bump the steering wheel rocks from side to side. The car also seems to pull left or right, depending on which side it is closer to when the wheel is straight. And the ride is very rough, feels like the shocks arent there...Actually feels worse than the 26k GVW Armored truck I drive for work..those things only sit on leaf springs, so you can imagine the ride in them.

Ive checked my shocks visually, and I did notice that the driver front shock has a broken plastic cover. And when I first start out, I hear a quick "ting ting ting" sound from the left rear. although this I believe is either my shock or my aftermarket exhaust rattling around....I have to investigate more and fix my rubber hangers...

Do you have different rims/tires? check your tire pressure. if its too hard, it will wreak havoc on shocks...I know thats one issue with my setup

Hey guys I really appreciate all the help. I will definitely check the sway bar linkage I checked the bushings and they seem to be okay. Struts for sure are leaking or at least the drivers side. The steering wheel shakes a little bit when i hit any bump. However its really strange when the shaking gets violent I've noticed it seems to come from a depression in the road more than bump on top of the road. However it still does shake pretty bad when i hit a regular bump on the road. Speed really does not affect if it shakes or not but obviously the faster i go the more violent the shaking after hitting a bump or pothole. The car sometimes feels like I"m driving a boat almost getting sea sick haha. So I'm very sure the struts are totally gone. Also when I go to press down on front of the car by either shock i can hear some sort of knocking/rocking noise, like something is loose i still think its the shock mounts but i really need to get in there and take the strut assembly here soon. Thanks everyone

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back