The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

STARTING to rust drivers side wheel well

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Get all the rust off. Body filler, sand with 600. Primer, then sand with 800. Paint with color while blending. Blend clear coat. Wet sand w 1000, 1500, 2000. Then polish. It’s a lot of work and easier said than done. Or just bring it to a reputable body shop

I am no "body guy" by any means, but I recently did a bit of rust repair on my gsx. First I would hit it with a wire brush on a drill, or air wheel. This will knock down all of the scale and loose rust. Then, if still strong I used a product called rust-mort, which claims to neutralize the rust. Works well, and you can buy it on amazon. Once dry I coated it with por-15 - amazing paint that prevents any more rust to form. Then top that when dry with spray under coating for a clean oem look. It seems like a lot of work but when you are doing both sides at once its not bad, you can do one while the other dries etc... Good luck, hopefully its just "starting" to rust.

Off topic, I would try to write your posts with proper english. It helps when searching the forum for information. Abbreviations like "n e" are not used here

Get all the rust off. Body filler, sand with 600. Primer, then sand with 800. Paint with color while blending. Blend clear coat. Wet sand w 1000, 1500, 2000. Then polish. It’s a lot of work and easier said than done. Or just bring it to a reputable body shop
The finest you would want to use is 320-400 on the primer, otherwise the paint will de-laminate over time and flake right off, it needs something to bite to in order to stick and those are just too fine to leave enough roughness.

The finest you would want to use is 320-400 on the primer, otherwise the paint will de-laminate over time and flake right off, it needs something to bite to in order to stick and those are just too fine to leave enough roughness.

Some primers are even lower, like 220.

It really depends on the primer being used, they usually say what to use.

I am no "body guy" by any means, but I recently did a bit of rust repair on my gsx. First I would hit it with a wire brush on a drill, or air wheel. This will knock down all of the scale and loose rust. Then, if still strong I used a product called rust-mort, which claims to neutralize the rust. Works well, and you can buy it on amazon. Once dry I coated it with por-15 - amazing paint that prevents any more rust to form. Then top that when dry with spray under coating for a clean oem look. It seems like a lot of work but when you are doing both sides at once its not bad, you can do one while the other dries etc... Good luck, hopefully its just "starting" to rust.

Off topic, I would try to write your posts with proper english. It helps when searching the forum for information. Abbreviations like "n e" are not used here
Thank you

Thank body shop it is.
Really want to bring this car back.

Thank you for all the info
(Information)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back