The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to someone earlier that said it could be the cas not being set up properly that's causing the crank problem. I didn't rotate the motor to TDC #1 cylinder when I put the cas in but would that cause a complete no start?

I talked to someone earlier that said it could be the cas not being set up properly that's causing the crank problem. I didn't rotate the motor to TDC #1 cylinder when I put the cas in but would that cause a complete no start?
Yes it could cause a no start do you have spark

Yeah I'm getting spark because like I said earlier I can get it to fire by manually powering the starter but it won't start via ignition though. I'll take out the #1 spark plug tomorrow and set the motor to TDC and put the cas in again hopefully that's what's causing the no crank

So I was driving home last night on the highway and my alt. belt broke off and the E-brake light and battery light came on and then my car just lost power. Left it over night and I went back this morning and changed the belt and it still wouldn't start. Kinda made like a winding noise not a usual noise. So I towed it home thinking that I had snapped the timing belt be the timing belt seems to be in time still after checking it. So if anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Diagnosing a car that you cant see is a terribly difficult thing. With that said is there any more information you can provide. Was it a fast winding? Like the sound of a starter gear spinning but not engaging the flywheel? Can you pinpoint the noise? Have you checked your battery's voltage? Normal is about 12.7 volts. Your car should have kept running off the battery for a little bit after the belt snapped. It normally runs off the battery while the alternator just works to keep it charged, so if you lost power immediately i would assume the battery wasn't getting charged and you were running off the alternator until it failed. Is it possible your alternator caused the belt to break and is preventing the car from starting by causing drag? You could charge your battery and pull the alternator belt off and try and start it. Just be warned: your alternator and water pump share the same belt. Don't run it long without that belt on or it will quickly overheat.

Diagnosing a car that you cant see is a terribly difficult thing. With that said is there any more information you can provide. Was it a fast winding? Like the sound of a starter gear spinning but not engaging the flywheel? Can you pinpoint the noise? Have you checked your battery's voltage? Normal is about 12.7 volts. Your car should have kept running off the battery for a little bit after the belt snapped. It normally runs off the battery while the alternator just works to keep it charged, so if you lost power immediately i would assume the battery wasn't getting charged and you were running off the alternator until it failed. Is it possible your alternator caused the belt to break and is preventing the car from starting by causing drag? You could charge your battery and pull the alternator belt off and try and start it. Just be warned: your alternator and water pump share the same belt. Don't run it long without that belt on or it will quickly overheat.

The winding noise was kinda fast. And yes it died within like 3 minutes of it breaking but we tried to jump start it and nothing but the battery could be shot. I hooked a charger up to it and it was completely dead but charged a little but still the same winding noise but the belt was on. And the belt did try to slip off again I might add.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. Your battery needs to be fully charged first of all. 11v is the typical no crank level but depending on the size and age of the battery it may struggle up until 12-12.5v to get it started. Take it in to an auto parts store and have them test it and charge it. They will do both for free. Also check the alternator pulley for resistance. It should spin pretty freely. If your belt is trying to slip off then i would venture to say you don't have it tight enough or your alternator is seizing and slipping the belt. As for the fast winding its hard to say. Try those things above first and see if its still there. Its not unheard of to have multiple systems go out at once but lets deal with one problem at a time.

Well gonna try them things today, let you know how it works out when I try them. Thanks

So I finally got some time today to work on the car. I went ahead and rotated the motor to TDC cylinder #1 and set the cas but I'm still getting no crank. I tried switching plug order still nothing. Also not sure if it matters but when I hook the positive battery terminal back on I get a weird clicking sound that lasts about 1 second but i can't tell where it's coming from but it's somewhere around throttle body. I'm gonna try uploading a video to show you what I mean

So I finally got some time today to work on the car. I went ahead and rotated the motor to TDC cylinder #1 and set the cas but I'm still getting no crank. I tried switching plug order still nothing.

None of those things would cause it to not even turn over that would be a starter or ignition switch / wiring problem. Make sure this plug is connected http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/151542290-post41.html

Is the engine turning over with the key? Or, is it turning over and not starting?

If it isn't turning over it has nothing to do with the cas.
The engine is not turning over at all. I can get to turn over and start by manually powering the starter but other than that it won't turn over. Also Ive checked all connections and they appear good

Use the diagram I posted to check the circuit.
I used the diagram you provided and everything checked out good.. I also made sure the plug synthetek suggested to check was plugged in but still nothing. Since the threads were merged I'm gonna quickly go over my problem again.
My stock 7 bolt in my 99gsx went on me a few months back and while browsing the classifieds I landed an awesome deal on a semi built 6 bolt/2g head motor and swapped it in. I got all the necessary things like the black top cas and RRE's harness to make the swap much easier. Everything went smoothly with the install up until I went to start it.. turn the key, hear the 3 beeps, hear the fuel pump, then went to start and nothing.No crank! No start! If you hold the key in the starting position you hear the fuel pump keep pumping but nothing else happens. We tested all connections checked and rechecked the wiring, took the starter off, tested it, it checked out good. so for experimental purposes we put the starter back on and manually powered it and the car cranked and started several times but can't stay on unless you give it gas. Also im getting the p0335 code. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back