The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, check out the crankshaft position sensor. Mine was broken when my timing belt broke, so my car wouldn't start until I put a new one in

Did you check all the wiring running from the CAS to the ECU to the coil/relays? Maybe you are getting an intermittent ground or have a corroded connection not letting the full signal get through...

I'm guessing his loss of power steering was due to the engine shutting off, and he's
mis-identifying that as a symptom rather than a result. :)

Yep, I just felt loss of PS before the engine shut-off because of low revs. It's a good thing that it happened just when I turned into my neighbor hood and not in the middle of the street. But it all works now. It's this Arizona desert heat that causes blown fuses all of the time.

So here's the deal I have a 98 spyder gs MT. Car wont start, battery is a couple months old and charged. The car hadn't been sitting for a long time, just all of a sudden it wouldn't start, I tried to jump start it and it wouldn't work. I've removed the starter and got it tested at Autozone and they said it was good. So I went ahead and checked the ignition switch, clutch safety switch, battery cables and everything looks good. I re-installed the starter and checked to make sure the ignition wire that connects to the solenoid is getting current when I turn the key the START position and it does. Lights turn on (interior & exterior) wipers, top, windows, everything works it just won't crank. All I can hear is little buzzing sound it is not coming from the starter. the starter is not clicking.
All I can think of after a lot of research is that it could be the starter relay. I read somewhere that it is located behind the radio but I can't find it. Anyone have experience with this relay? more specific location?
Is there a way to test this relay?

Yeah I've checked my timing all the marks lined up
I think it's my starter that one disengage so it keeps cranking
And it grinding my flywheel

Obviously I'm sure you've gone back under there to check the wires. What you can do is pull an injector, reconnect it and put it inside of clear cup to catch any gas that may come out and crank it over once. I'm sure you can also just test one of the injector wires for power while you crank it. That may be much safer.
I realize that neither of those solve your problem but they will certainly help point you in the right direction.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure you were right because I finally went and picked up a new starter and it started right up.
So I guess you can't always trust what the starter tests say because Autozone tested the old starter like 3 times and it passed every time.

Make sure all of your fuses are good aswell. I had a no start issue for over a year and it turned to be a simple fuse. Definitely kicked myself for that one, lost out on a whole year of driving!!

I have a 97 gst auto with a rebuilt motor. When everything was put back together the car fired up and drove no issues. A few days later while driving home it stopped and now will not start. You turn the key and nothing happens. The car is stock with all new parts including battery. Any ideas?

Ok heres what I did... I bought a 91 talon tsi fwd with a blowed motor took the engine out rebuilt it myself with all new stock internals bottom and top end all new gaskets with a balance shaft delete kit and rebuilt the tranny 5spd. Put the engine back in with all new fluids. New batt.alternater.used starter. n pspump. New belts. Ok engine started first crank n ran great for 3 days. I went out on the 4th day at 6am to go to work n it wouldnt start. Put jumper cables on it and the starter was makeing a weird winding noise. So i took my truck instead come back took the starter off n had it tested. Starter was bad so I got a new one at advanced and when I put it on n charged the battery ### everything died it wouldnt start n sounded like the starter was hitting the flywheel n grinding the teeth so I took it back off and the teeth on the new starter where scared so I tried mounting it again and again to no avail same grinding sound the motor turns over but bearly not enough to get it fired up. And now my power windows wont roll up or down and my headlights wont pop up. I took the alternator off n had it tested and it tested good. Im at my wits end withvthis and any help would be greatly appreciated

Im out here with the hood popped now figureing out my next step I own a shop n have all the tools in the world so any help yall can give me I will try it right now I gotta get this thing running today.

is the starter you put in have a good ground? for the windows and headlights maybe you blew a fuse? also did you buy a reman starter or new? remans are junk may take you a fem starters til you get a good one if you bought a reman

for the little bit more it cost i would have gone with a brand new starter. no wires are burned or melted running to the headlights or door locks?

So u think I should just take this pos reman back to advanced n have it tested

No bud wires r good n the door locks work along with wipers its just the windows and pop up headlights

yes... i used to work at advance and believe me when i tell you the reman stuff they sold was garbage. had it come back more than anything else sold in the store

did your headlights and windows stop working after you replaced starter?

I just want to get it started I can figure out the other lil stuff im gonna try pop starting it n go get this starter tested if I dont hear any other ideas

The headlights and windows quit working the morning the car died and aint worked since. Lol about advanced ## probably right im sitting here racking my brain the whole time its the starter im riding in there now theyre only 5mins away ill stay on the thread n tell ya what they say

List of things i've done to the car already

used engine 89,000 miles
head has been mechined
new head gasket
new valve seals
new water pump
new oem timing belt
new oem timing belt tentioner
new timing belt pulleys
new valve lifters
new rod bearings
new oem lower oil turbo return piping
new starter
new ngk spark plugs & wires
new thermostat
interstate battery
new rack pinion
new AC pump
new all 4 tires
all new gaskets 4 almost everything engine related
new parts on car are only about a month old.

when I try to start the car the lights don't dim out like the battery is shot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back