The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Judging by all the oil on the T-belt it would appear the leak is on the T-belt side. Too late now better start ripping the head off.

Looks the it wasn't kept up on oil changes or used the cheapest oil you could find or both....that head and cams are grimy!! Did you go look where it blew? Maybe you could find your oil cap to see what maybe caused it to come off, maybe find a chunk of engine block or timing component

My first question is, how much oil is still in the pan?

EDIT: NM... Just saw that it was all gone.

If you lost the cap and ran it for any length of time, but there is no oil anywhere under the hood, that means the top of the valve train (at least) wasn't getting any oil. And from the way it looks by the pics, everything at the top of the head has seen some heat which would support that.

If the oil pump failed or you somehow lost all oil and seized the cams (and consequently sheared the teeth off the belt), that would explain what you are seeing.

Did you try rotating the cams with the t-belt off, before pulling the caps?

I can see all the cam journal oil feeds, and the cam toweres look shiney and smooth. Well 10 of the 12.

I am sorry to disagree Calan, I do not see the cam siezure as the issue., If that was the case I would expect to see ripped up and torn cam towers and BLACk cam tower caps from the heat.

The brown color in the head is not all that bad, oil varinish, with 190k miles on it, that looks good.

Take a flashlight and look under the intake at the block, I would bet you have a window back there.

Looks the it wasn't kept up on oil changes or used the cheapest oil you could find or both....that head and cams are grimy!! Did you go look where it blew? Maybe you could find your oil cap to see what maybe caused it to come off, maybe find a chunk of engine block or timing component

He has only had the car for maybe a month and i know he changed the oil right after he got it and put royal purple in it.

I just bought the car for 3 thousand and said it was in good mechanical order (my ass, apperently )

I've tried getting the oil pan off but I dont even have an extension long enough to do it, also couldnt break the bolts loose that hold on the cross member for ease of access - so I've come to the conclusion that it will probably be sitting at my buddies apartment until I can find someone with the tools and a lift that would help me at least look at it.

What a great lesson on buying cars...

Did you try rotating the cams with the t-belt off, before pulling the caps?

yes I rotated them with the belt off.

Last edited:
I can see all the cam journal oil feeds, and the cam toweres look shiney and smooth. Well 10 of the 12.

I am sorry to disagree Calan, I do not see the cam siezure as the issue., If that was the case I would expect to see ripped up and torn cam towers and BLACk cam tower caps from the heat.

When I first posted, I didn't see the pics with the cam caps removed, but yeah... the bottom pic doesn't show any real signs that the cams were seized.

I'm still wondering how he lost the oil cap and didn't get any oil splash out of the VC, unless it was already out of oil.

Alright, swapped stock pump back in and I'm getting the same issue. While the pressure is down to around 35-38 PSI, nothing has changed with firing. No pops, sputters or anything of that nature.

Something I believe I didnt mention was that for whatever reason the previous owner bypassed the fuel filter and has ran the line straight to the rail.

Haven't had a chance to check anything out on the car, had some home owner issues come up..its always something.. anyone have any more ideas on where I should start first when I get back in to it? thanks!

How possible is it that he lost a piston on the compression or combustion cycle and the pressure blew back and ripped the oil cap off? Probably far fetched but the way I see it is its possible.

How possible is it that he lost a piston on the compression or combustion cycle and the pressure blew back and ripped the oil cap off? Probably far fetched but the way I see it is its possible.

Ok Ill play.

The pistion would have to be missing, or have a huge hole in it.

The the raw gas would would be ignited, if the spark plug survived the loss of the piston.

Then the explosion of gas would expand, flowing up the oil return ports and blowing the oil cap off.

Now Codym..... have you pulled the spark plugs and looked down the spark plug hole?

Also, on the highway, when the car cam to a stop, did you see coolant on the ground?

Remove the fuel rail and turn it upside down while cranking. Watch for fuel spraying out the injectors.

Now Codym..... have you pulled the spark plugs and looked down the spark plug hole?

Also, on the highway, when the car cam to a stop, did you see coolant on the ground?

I dont have an extension that will reach that far down( Just moved, I have no tools ) ... Im hopefully getting it to a buddy's shop tomorrow.

No there was definently no coolant leaking, nothing was leaking until I went and bought oil and put oil in it and it all came dripping out.

I'm still wondering how he lost the oil cap and didn't get any oil splash out of the VC, unless it was already out of oil.

I dont see how I would of lost oil that quickly, I checked it before and after my trip from OKC to Amarillo, Texas.

time for a new build.. sucks that you didnt catch it before any damage

If I have the money and time for that- being new to an area with no connections and no tools - sucks.

Just for giggles and grins, check 2 things.

Stick your head under the car and see if the oil drain bolt is in the oil pan.
Also make sure your oil filter is tight, grab it and twist, wiggle it.

Just for giggles and grins, check 2 things.

Stick your head under the car and see if the oil drain bolt is in the oil pan.
Also make sure your oil filter is tight, grab it and twist, wiggle it.

Yes the drain plug is good, yes the filter is tight.. I changed the oil immediately after I bought the car and it was showing no signs of leakage..

Simple fact is that either the event he heard caused the oil cap to blow off like stated above, OR the car was rapidly leaking oil/had no oil when it went on this final trip.
When the oil cap is off and you have a working engine at highway rpms, your engine bay would be SOAKED in oil. No question, ive seen it happen and cause a fire.

Then again, like bogus said, it doesnt look starved of oil under the VC. THis is def weird but i would guess if you look at the back of your block youre going to see a hole. Thats sucks you just bought it and it blew up, but you gotta remember, its an 18 yr old car. And these cars are notoriously abused by kids. You just happened to be unlucky.
Find a used engine on craigslist and drop it in. Fairly cheap and itll get you by.

Yes the drain plug is good, yes the filter is tight.. I changed the oil immediately after I bought the car and it was showing no signs of leakage..

It may have been at the time you installed it, but check anyways.

There have been threads of the OFH shaking loose.

You just had a fairly long road trip, and extended vibrations have a way of shaking loose.

I also wonder if you ran over something in the road, and popped a hole in the oil pan.

But I can relate, I had an engine let go on me, long road trip, get home go to work, leave and on the way home #2 rod felt the need to come apart in 4 pieces.

I am sorry this happened to you, but I am waiting on the pics of the engine tear down.

I will be getting pictures up as soon as I get it in the shop, I assure you.

I just went out and double checked the underside, the oil pan drain bolt is just as tight as it was, and so is the filter. The oil wasnt leaking from the pan, or around the pan Im pretty sure its from the back side.

I wasnt planning on swapping engines until I had time for a full turbo swap...BUT seeing as this is my DD, I'm rather stuck as to what im gonna do.

Your better off buying a good engine from the salvage yard and swapping it in for the mean time since it your DD.

Is there oil sprayed all over underneath the whole car? If your oil suddenly came out going down the highway I'd assume there would be oil all over the underneath of the car....

Do you have any enemies? People you've pissed off recently? Someone that would mess with your car?

Is there oil sprayed all over underneath the whole car? If your oil suddenly came out going down the highway I'd assume there would be oil all over the underneath of the car....

Do you have any enemies? People you've pissed off recently? Someone that would mess with your car?

Did you check for vacuum leaks? I've had this issue few days ago, that I couldn't start the car unless I cleaned the spark plugs before, those bastards was always full of gas, and I've found few vacuum leaks, 1 comming from the solenoid valve that connects to the fuel injector line and the intake manifold, and other small ones in the back of the intake. I just changed the solenoid and fixed the vacuum, and the car is good now :).

I tried this after changing and spending a lot of money in sensors, mechanics and stuff.. Good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back