The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Starting issues - No / Doesn't / Won't Start - MERGED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodsm

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2002
canada, Manitoba_Canada
All "my car won't start" discussion threads are merged HERE. We've basically made it easier for those who insist upon not searching by grouping together all threads from those with similar issues so you can just scroll through and see some possible solutions. To search for info within this thread, use the "Search This Thread" feature in the black bar about 3" above what you're reading right now.

Could be anything from a loose battery terminal to internal engine damage, and literally everything in between which may involve the electrical, fuel, and ignition system...possibly even something that you screwed up while working on the car yourself. While it's unlikely we're going to diagnose and solve your problem over the internet, feel free to discuss any possible solutions.

I live in Canada and right now its not very warm out, about -30c
my car does not have a block heater too keep it warm.

I tryed to start my car this morning and it wouldent start, ive had this problem before but this time, the car doesnt crank at all it just makes a sound that sounds like an electric drill.

Whats wrong.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You said timing is right, but didn't mention firing order. Could it be you have it wrong? I've done it. Also had to go help a friend who changed a head. Didn't mention he had coil trouble. after 2hrs I checked his firing order and found it was wrong. He swore it was correct. Engine fired up and ran perfect.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Also a small thing you might wanna check is the coolant temp sensor. I know it may sound stupid but make sure its plugged in, wiring undamaged, and working. The ECU uses info from the CTS to calculate fuel delivery on startup. Absence of sensor = ECU reading -274 degrees and no start due to waaaay too much fuel. Knock out all the small stuff like sensors and such and work you your way up to bigger problems like low/no compression.

It did have old gas in it, tried to drain as much as possible but couldnt get every bit out. If that could be the problem do i just need to run it to get the gas out? or what would be the best solution to that. And as for the CAS i used the head off the 97 i got some parts with it and the head was in a bit better condition then my old one, so it has the CAS off a 97.

Did you plug the nipples on the TB when the egr was blocked-off?

The only thing that was plugged before was just the tube going to the egr, not sure if it was bad before or if the kid that owned it before me was just being lazy. But we hooked everything up properly this time.

Coolant temp sensor? I had the same problem when I would try to start it for first time of the day

firing order is 4123 im pretty sure that right wiring is all good, well i went and got a compression tester and nothing. one time it jumped up to 30 psi but thats all. i was told to try putting a little oil down the spark plug hole to try to set the piston rings still nothing. i dont understand what im doing wrong.

and i redid the timing last night to make sure i was right

could it of possibly jumped timing or i was off by a tooth or something like that and bent some valves?

Make sure you have the coilpack plugged into the right plug as well things can get a little confusing with 3 plugs that are the same my coilpack plug wouldn't reach all the way with my 6 bolt swap for some reason so I assumed it was the plug for the crank sensor swapped plugs and fired right up

I don't think he has connected the coil in a different plug, If he is getting spark, it means, he has it right.
If you are saying, that you have 30 of compression, then your engine will never run with that low compression.
Are you getting 30 on all four cylinder, or just one?.
Did you bleed, or charge the Lifters?
If you have the timing right and didn't jump any tooth, then I would say that your lifters were locked up and caused some bend valves.
Check compression, If you get the same compression (30) in all four, then do a leak down test, to see if you have some bend valves.

Do a leak down test. Use the compression tester to fill the cylinders with air using an air compressor. Then just listen to see where the compression is going. If you can hear it coming out of the manifolds then there is a problem with the valves. If you can hear it going into the crankcase then something went wrong with the piston rings.

Did you collapse the lifters before you installed the cams? If not they can hold the valves open enough to give you 0 compression.

found the problem timing was wrong and thank god i didnt bend or drop any valves thanks everyone!

I have the 450injectors and the resistor pack wired in and I had the 90 tsi ecu in a 90 car. I know about swapping the wire for later years. I also have a 91 tsi ecu. A 92 na ecu. And the stock 90 na ecu. For some reason it don't start at all with the 90 tsi. it starts and runs kinda rich and crappy with the na ecus and I know it has the wrong injectors for those but they are the only ones that work. And it don't matter which way I have the 6 and 14 wire for either ecu it runs the same regardless.

And if uve been up with this thread that's all been explained. But that's a good recap I guess.

So have I came up with an issue no one can solve?

i have a 1st gen and im having starting problems goin on. it starts up just fine some time and than other times it dont wanna start. im a newb to the DSM word so if any one could that would be sweet!!

the only sound it makes is from the starter. but when it does start the R drop and kill the motor. its crazy ### it only does this some times like this morning it started right up.

ok here is a quick video i took tonight of my car cranking over, y'all tell me what y'all think just by listening too it. after tonight i'm thinking head gasket but idk..... gonna do another compression test tomorrow since i can't find where i wrote down my compression numbers at.

trying to start eclipse - YouTube

Coolant temp sensor checked out ok, egr valve is also working properly. O2 is also installed and all error codes on the car are gone. Could it possibly be the ecu? And if so would the ecu from my 95 be plug and play in the 97?

check the transistor as well as the coil pack. and also make sure when you put the wires back in you put them in the correct.

just saw its a 420A it might not have a transistor but check the coil pack

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back