The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Starting issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LR35

Probationary Member
Feb 8, 2015
crothersville, Indiana
OK guys need some help here, my starter acted like it was going out in my 97 gst. I replaced it with the one off of my parts car(97 spyder gst) and now it won't start. I'm getting compression, fuel and spark...... I have no clue what's going on any ideas????

Could it be the negative cable for the battery? Its not in the best shape but I haven't seen it arc or anything

It's possible if it's super coroded and not letting enough thru. Or if it's all fraid and parts of the wire are broken not making contact anymore. I just read somthing on a similiar issue and it was the negative cable arcing, it was destroying starters.

I have almost the same problem with my 90 Eagle talon tsi. It will crank over but won't start. I have been reading some other posts on here but still not sure what it is. I hope you get back on the road soon!

Ok I'm over it, I guess I'm going to have to pull the trans, replaced the starter again, checked and replaced the grounds, it fired right up. Turned it off and boom the same thing the very next time..I really like this car but I'm really getting over it! Any other ideas or should I Yank the trans and go from there

I'm about to just put this one and my parts car up for sale

If it were me... I'd pull the starter, take it to a parts house who can test it for you on a bench.. if it tests okay make sure you take the battery and make sure it's fully charged and have it load tested. Even a new battery can fail. Also a visual inspection of the ring gear/inside of the bellhousing would be an easy thing to accomplish to make sure there isn't something binding the flywheel up. You just want to eliminate every possibility, one at a time until only the cause remains. Or you can throw components at it till you find the issue like so many mechanics do these days! ;)

Ok I'm over it, I guess I'm going to have to pull the trans, replaced the starter again, checked and replaced the grounds, it fired right up. Turned it off and boom the same thing the very next time..I really like this car but I'm really getting over it! Any other ideas or should I Yank the trans and go from there
Seems a bit drastic because of your issue. Clean the cables up, then have the starter tested and make sure battery terminals are good and clean. They can cause so much havoc of you don't get an excellent connection. Make sure your grounds are all good too.

I've replaced the battery, 4 different starters( 3 or which were new),replaced the battery terminals and the ground wires, I've gotten underneath it, removed the dust cover while it was running and while it was trying to be started and everything looks ok. Its like the starter is grabbing the releasing/ when it grinds. The belt turns when trying but stops when it starts grinding

Some starters use shims to space the starter correctly, at least on old Chevrolets I've seen it a lot.. this is typically due to casting tolerances. Being an intermittent issue, something has to change. Have someone put a rachet on the crank and have them spin the engine over and inspect the entire ring gear. I suspect there may be a few damaged teeth.

My question is why is it sounding like it's grinding.. that is suspicious of a ring gear or something not lining up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back