The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Starting issue when car is hot

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt's Gsx

Probationary Member
Apr 15, 2010
Camphill, Pennsylvania
I'm having an issue starting my car when it's hot meaning it was just running and when I go to start it again it doesn't start. I've changed cam angle sensor, coil packs, spark plugs, transistor pack, resistor pack for injectors, tried different ecu, and even checked the whole wiring harness. It has enough power to start but won't fire. But if the car is cool it'll start just fine. If anyone knows what it could be please, let me know asap. Thanks.

Let me get this straight, Matt. A while ago, you started a thread about the car not starting when hot. We gave you advice (some of which you never seemed to try, such as cooling the fuel rail) and you came back and said that you solved the problem. But you wouldn't say what the problem was or what the solution was. Instead, you now start a new thread that is about the same bloody problem. What's up with that?

I smoked some stuff in the 70s and it didn't do my short-term memory much good, but I didn't smoke that much. Did you think we wouldn't notice?

With regard to this new thread, I have no idea what your second sentence means. I'm tempted to ask if you've tried spraying cold water on fuel rail, but it seems no more likely that you'll try that now than before.

I have 2 ideas that worked for me.
First, make sure the vacuum hose to the FPR solenoid is hooked up correctly.
2. Turn your MAF upside down so the IAT sensor is on the bottom where it won't get heat soaked from sitting in a hot engine bay.

And to go along with pneumo, turn your a/c on for about 40-60 seconds before starting the car. This will kick the a/c fan on thus removing some heat from the engine bay. My Talon has an issue with hot starts every now and then and this seems to help alot.

You know I have noticed this issue on my car a few times. I will be driving to work on the freeway and I will make a pit stop at the rest area to get gas. Coolant temp is all good the whole drive. Never have any issues with temps rising. When I'm done filling up the tank and go to start it the coolant temp on the dash reads more than halfway. It is rising while the car is sitting. One time it was pretty high and actually effected my start to the point where I couldn't start. Is this the sensor or is my engine bay actually getting that hot to heat soak the engine when water isn't being recirculated or air isn't cooling things? As soon as the engine is restarted the temp drops right back to normal operating temps. Almost like moving the water gets it back to normal immediately. What effect does the factory hood have as far as acting like a heat sink? I have a VIS hood installed and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I like the idea of hardwiring the fans to keep temps normal while I fill up.

I've had similar issues with engine temps rising after parking. I know for a fact my cooling system is getting pressurized from the engine (leaking compression). I've not had any hot start issues from it. But it is very troubling.

You know I have noticed this issue on my car a few times. I will be driving to work on the freeway and I will make a pit stop at the rest area to get gas. Coolant temp is all good the whole drive. Never have any issues with temps rising. When I'm done filling up the tank and go to start it the coolant temp on the dash reads more than halfway. It is rising while the car is sitting. One time it was pretty high and actually effected my start to the point where I couldn't start. Is this the sensor or is my engine bay actually getting that hot to heat soak the engine when water isn't being recirculated or air isn't cooling things? As soon as the engine is restarted the temp drops right back to normal operating temps. Almost like moving the water gets it back to normal immediately. What effect does the factory hood have as far as acting like a heat sink? I have a VIS hood installed and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. I like the idea of hardwiring the fans to keep temps normal while I fill up.

Stopping the car after cruising on the freeway is hard on the cooling system. Freeway cruising makes plenty of heat, but the car is moving fast so it's OK. If you exit the freeway and shut down there's no airflow going past the radiator anymore. That's what turbo timers are made for. Vented hoods help too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back