The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Starting/idleing issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990-1999dsm

Probationary Member
Dec 10, 2008
St. Louis, Missouri
i have a 1991 eagle talon tsi awd with a 5 speed manual transmission. i am having trouble with the car starting. it will crank and sometimes start but it may only run for a short time and then die. i was told the starter, or the alternator but im not sure. it has the lights working and everything and after it dies or tries to start the ignition coils start to click. it has happened before but then stopped. it has power when it actually runs. but no matter the rpms i have it at it still dies. so i would like to know what you guys/gals thought it could be and how much to fix it in your minds.
btw the car is completely stock and only has 81,000 original miles

check your big 3 first.
SPARK-
AIR-
FUEL-

after doing this post your results please, i am interested in helping.

:thumb:]
*-edit
by that i ment a consistant flow of all 3.

How would I go about doing that? And I got it to start and run today but it died on me after I moved it onto the driveway and the check engine light was on and the car felt like it was struggling when it started again

i would test the alternator and check engine lite usually is a 02 sensor

and if it would happen to be ## starter which it shouldnt i have a 1g start with like 500 miles on it brand new duralast one i got it for 80 bucks for my 1g auto awd

how bad is the idle when it is actually running?
sounds like you may have a HUGE vacuum leak, injector problem, fuel pump problem, ignition problem, or more than one of the above.
need more info.:banghead:

I suggest going to autozone or something to have the alternator checked out if you can't do that on your own.

Alright well it sometimes idles perfectly fine then it will be like missing (seems that way) and like it's trying to run but it just can't. Amrit does run well sometimes then it'll act up shortly after it runs well

hah... this might sound like the dumbest thing. but i have been waiting on a thread like this to come through so i could put my .02 in.. CHECK YOUR GAS LEVEL!. my gsx did the same thing i had to have it sit for a week because i couldnt figure out my problem.. my gas gauge sticks once down to 1/4 tank and wont go further down .. she was bone dry.. try moving it and no power just wants to die..

MIGHT SOUND STUPID.. JUST CHECK TO REASSURE

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back